Puffed out hen

lauren212

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2016
Ontario
I posted a few weeks ago about my hen that's puffed out and tucks her head into bet body often. She's about 36 weeks and has never laid an egg yet. She has a small pale comb still and doesn't have diarrhea. It was suggested to give her corid but that didn't change anything. I'm putting electrolytes in the water. She still is active but not as much as the other hens. No breathing issues and is eating and drinking fine. Any ideas?

Hi.
frow.gif

Maybe she is just staying warm?
hu.gif

My BR laid a very short time but quit for winter soon there after.

Can you tell me what you feed? And your set up, coop & run size, free range, how many birds? Place in the pecking order?

Is it possible your electrolyte balance is off and maybe she needs plain water?

I have 5 chickens, they have a nice coop and a large 12x12 dog pen and I free range them in the late afternoon when I get home from work. I just started giving them electrolytes for the last few days for a little boost. They will be back on plain water tomorrow. There doesn't seem to be a pecking order...they all get along without any issues. I can't identify a lead bird. I feed them organic food and I've been fermenting it in a mason jar in the morning for a snack. When I got the two barred rocks they had a bad lice infestation which I treated over a month ago with dusting powder. There is no sign of bugs on any of them now. This hen also had lost a lot of feathers...either a moult or from lice but all feathers have come back now. Feathers look lice and healthy. She's been puffed like this ever since I've owned her.

So where did you get her from that she had lice? And how do you know she is 36 weeks old?

Recovering from that plus time of year, I wouldn't expect her to lay until daylight starts increasing.

But it's hard to say if there is actually something wrong with her. Although being puffed up doesn't seem normal, all birds are individuals.
hu.gif

Hopefully she is OK, but it's good that you are being vigilant.
thumbsup.gif

I got the two barred rocks from a local breeder but she wouldn't let me come to her property so I met her and she gave me the birds. I would never do that again! Lesson learned. She said they were from the meninites and they had there beaks clipped...so sad. That ones beak is cut way to short...they had thousands of lice and they were skinny. It was disgusting. The breeder told me how old they were but who knows..guess I will just wait until spring and see what happens.

I got the two barred rocks from a local breeder but she wouldn't let me come to her property so I met her and she gave me the birds. I would never do that again! Lesson learned. She said they were from the meninites and they had there beaks clipped...so sad. That ones beak is cut way to short...they had thousands of lice and they were skinny. It was disgusting. The breeder told me how old they were but who knows..guess I will just wait until spring and see what happens.
That's terrible.
somad.gif

I would consider calling animal control if I knew her address. No wonder she wouldn't let you come over... All her animals are most likely in that condition.
rant.gif

Glad they are better now!
highfive.gif
Probably still recovering.

As an indicator of age, how big was the 1 egg you got?

At least you learned this lesson without giving the rest of your flock something!
smile.png

I've never got an egg from her. The other barred rock has been laying for about a month. They were about he same size when I got them. The other hen now has a big red comb while this ones is still small and very pale.

I've never got an egg from her. The other barred rock has been laying for about a month. They were about he same size when I got them. The other hen now has a big red comb while this ones is still small and very pale.
OK, she is probably young still then.

I would just give her time.

But you might consider feeding an all flock type feed with oyster shell on the side if you don't already. It will provide more protein which is good for growing but less calcium than layer which is 4% and way to high for non laying birds. Long term it can actually cause kidney issues. But the rest of your flock would be fine using any unmedicated starter or grower or all flock as long as they have the OS on the side. Layer is also minimal in protein at only 16%, so any treats could reduce that too much to be nutritious enough.

I use Purina Flock Raiser which is 20% protein & 1% calcium with OS on the side for layers. Not saying it's the best, just what I have available that I can afford and meets the needs of my flock.

How many other hens do you have? Have you considered fermenting your feed? Just how it changes my chicken's poo to being more solid and less smelly is worth the little extra effort it takes. But the extra nutritional value is great! Check out the link in my signature line.
smile.png

I posted a few weeks ago about my hen that's puffed out and tucks her head into bet body often. She's about 36 weeks and has never laid an egg yet. She has a small pale comb still and doesn't have diarrhea. It was suggested to give her corid but that didn't change anything. I'm putting electrolytes in the water. She still is active but not as much as the other hens. No breathing issues and is eating and drinking fine. Any ideas?
My chicken this year had the same issue. I didn't catch it in time and she didn't make it, but your chicken is dehydrated. Make sure you give her fresh electrolytes daily. And it would be best for her to keep drinking water. Is she walking slowly too?

I see her drinking water but maybe she doesn't get enough because her beak is so short. She doesn't walk any different. Just often standing alone by herself puffed out.

Back
Top Bottom