Puhlese!! Help us decide a direction?!?

Pics

dbtcowgirl

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
My boys and I are carefully building our flocks with the goal of selling hatching eggs and raising chicks in mind. We have spent countless hours building the following flocks. Searching for the best quality and representatives of the breeds. We have currently built good flocks of these chickens, and come spring will be ready to sell eggs and chicks. Our question is with the remaining birds we are sorting through. What flocks should we keep and progress with? Our goal is 12 total, and we have 9.
Here is what we have now-
Bielefelder
Black Copper Maran
Cream Legbar
Serama
Liege
Svart Hona
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Russian Orloff
Easter Egger
Here is what we could build-
Ayam Cemani
Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiner
Swedish Flower
Blue Laced Red Wyadottes
Silver Laced Wyadottes
Gold Campines
Barnvelders
Light Brahmas me
So pretty please tell us your thoughts on the last three breeds to focus on and build.
We are also open to other suggestions if we are missing a great idea. Thank you for your thoughts and Input.

Pick the ones that will sell well in your area....
....or do you plan on shipping, and know the regulations to do so?

12 different breeds?
We are on the list to get NPIP certified, it's just taking forever due to everything being backed up. We have 9 Pure Bred flocks now and are trying to decide our last 3 breeds to focus on.

Where are you located, in general?

best quality and representatives of the breeds

So, you are planning to follow APA standards for the ones with standards? What determines best quality/ representative when there is no standard? Any breeder has a list of things that are important to them. Sometimes its size and meat content, sometimes its egg laying, sometimes it's coloring, or any number of other things.

I am aware that "lacing" is a generally hard trait to get really nice, so if you are up for the work, laced birds always seem popular.

Where are you located, in general?

So, you are planning to follow APA standards for the ones with standards? What determines best quality/ representative when there is no standard? Any breeder has a list of things that are important to them. Sometimes its size and meat content, sometimes its egg laying, sometimes it's coloring, or any number of other things.

I am aware that "lacing" is a generally hard trait to get really nice, so if you are up for the work, laced birds always seem popular.
I'm located in Western Colorado.
I try to follow follow breed standards on the ones that are defined. The others I look for a general quality representative, well colored, good confirmation, correct size, dispositions.
I love the laced breeds, it may be a fun goal.

I have Single Comb and Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds, Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites, Rose Comb Dark Brown Leghorns and Single Comb White Leghorns as stated in my signature. All of my birds are pure (heritage). I do selective breeding to get the best chicks I can. I sell eggs for eating and hatching. These are the breeds I like. My Rhode Island Whites and my Leghorns are my best layers but all of my breeds lay well. I am NPIP. If you plan on shipping eggs or chicks across state lines different tests are required. I also show my birds at poultry shows. I have had other breeds in addition in the past but these are the ones I have now. This is the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection. It give all of the information on breeds recognized by the APA.
IMG_20160320_140826.jpg

Back
Top Bottom