TayRae

In the Brooder
May 25, 2018
Hello I'm new to the chicken community and I have I a rather small flock, four hens to be exact. I started my chicken flock when I found a chicken in the woods, believe it or not, so I rescued her. There are no forms in the community and when I call the SPCA conservation in my area they said it looked more like a poaching situation it and chickens were used as bait. My dog found the only surviving chicken. So last year I built a coupe adopted to moorhens to abide by my city bylaws and started my backyard chickens. My rescue chicken was old when we found her and she recently passed so to abide by bylaws I had to adopt another chicken. Because their social I didn't want to just get one small check and have her isolated for so long so I adopted two. So, two of them are just over a year old one of them is two weeks the other is one-week-old. I have the two young ones separated until they're older of course but I'm I'm concerned about integrating them. I spoken with some farmers and read a lot about integration techniques however I'm concerned about food. My two older hens are on layer feed will my young ones are still on there early diet. Because my two new ones are Heritage breed I was told they will not start producing eggs until about 8 months old. This has led me to concerns about feed how do I integrate them but make sure my laying hens are getting a layer pellets Well my two new hens are getting their grower pelletts? No one is really covering that part and integration techniques. I'm not allowed to have two Coupes on my property so I can't house them separately overwinter. Right now I have my two small ones indoors under a heating lamp because they're too small to be out with my hens. When my two new girls are old enough to be integrated into the flock, can someone tell me how to make sure they're all eating properly?

Here's some more information in case it helps. A local grocery store gives me their old produce that's no longer fit for human consumption but still fresh enough for chickens. So my hens eat about 50% pellets 50% fresh fruits and vegetables. My city won't let hens free range but when I am outside in the backyard with them I do let them run about my yard. As for the breeds, I have one Rhode Island red and one light Sussex which are my two older girls. My new girls are a silver laced Wyandotte and a Bielefelder.

Any tips, advice, or information would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need to feed a layer. Feed a non medicated starter grower and put out a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. I personally don't feed a layer anymore. You can switch back to a layer after all are laying if you wish. I personally use an All Flock ration.

Thank you so much for the information. Switching my laying hens to a grower ration wouldn't hurt them? Does it have all the vitamins and nutrients they need to make an egg? I'll look into an all flock ration. None of my local feed stores have mentioned that.

Thank you so much for the information. Switching my laying hens to a grower ration wouldn't hurt them? Does it have all the vitamins and nutrients they need to make an egg? I'll look into an all fall crashing. None of my local feed stores have mentioned that.
Do the switch slowly. Chickens don't like change, but usually hens love to eat chick feed. The higher protein may actually boost egg production. A layer is usually lower in protein, at about 16%, and higher in calcium at 4%. Chick feed generally has 18-24% protein and only 1% calcium give or take. I have fed my hens long term on a starter grower without any problems.

Hello..I only feed Grower to my Adult Chickens and supply Oyster shell one a week I a separate bowl. I feed medicated Chick starter to my Chicks raised by Momma in my Coop. It doesn't effect the eggs. You can still consume them..

Back
Top Bottom