Pullet or Roo? Welsummer Help!

BeanHen

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
Hey all!

I was just wondering what gender this little Welsummer is. I've read about their auto-sexing, but I can't quite figure out what it is...
S/he has a pretty prominent 'v' on the head, but not very dark eyeliner. And s/he already has some tailfeathers, though it's sibling (a BO) does not. S/he hatched on May 5, so s/he's about 3 weeks old.

Anything helps!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh okay, thanks anyway! I'll post some new pics when they're older!
:)

Here's a 3-week-old update! Still looking just at the Welsummer. :)

It looks like a pullet to me...crisp head triangle, clear eyeline mark, and most importantly salmon coming in at the chest. The only thing that gives me pause is there is a bit more comb than I would like (but Welsummers can have pretty developed combs early), and a hint of black in the chest, but I think that will be penciling.

If per small chance black comes in at the chest, or red bars appear on the wings, then it will be a male...but I think this is a female.

Welsummers should be easy to sex at hatch, but not all lines are kept as carefully as they should be, especially hatchery stock, so there is too much variation in the markings to allow with certainty unless you've gone to a private breeder who keeps their lines carefully (culling any who are not easily sexable at hatch).

You should know within the next week or 2 for certain...watch that lovely salmon chest come in....or watch for black in the chest and red on the wing bows.

LofMc

Last edited:
Here's the development of one of my Welsummer chicks and the eventual eggs she laid...she does have a nice dark eyeliner, which yours doesn't quite match, but you can see the juvenile feathering.

LofMc

Last edited:
It looks like a pullet to me...crisp head triangle, clear eyeline mark, and most importantly salmon coming in at the chest. The only thing that gives me pause is there is a bit more comb than I would like (but Welsummers can have pretty developed combs early), and a hint of black in the chest, but I think that will be penciling.

If per small chance black comes in at the chest, or red bars appear on the wings, then it will be a male...but I think this is a female.

Welsummers should be easy to sex at hatch, but not all lines are kept as carefully as they should be, especially hatchery stock, so there is too much variation in the markings to allow with certainty unless you've gone to a private breeder who keeps their lines carefully (culling any who are not easily sexable at hatch).

You should know within the next week or 2 for certain...watch that lovely salmon chest come in....or watch for black in the chest and red on the wing bows.

LofMc
agreed

She looks like how my two Welsummer pullets looked at her age. :)

Here they are just a couple weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom