Pullet that herniated when laying possibly?

lindy

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Oregon
So I was so excited that my Shetland hens finally started to lay. I think they are 7 months or so. This morning I let them out and found her with something hanging out of her vent, other then that she is perfectly normal so thinking it didn’t happen long ago.
managed to clean it as best as possible with warm water then some cloroxidine then put surger all over it and got it back in but…. As soon as I let her down she strains it back out, I did that twice then left it, she is in a small dog pen now that is clean with some calcium water with a tiny bit of food so she eats it. What do I do? You can’t stitch since she is laying? It’s like two thumbs size together tissue is still good.

Honey or sugar is very good to help with reducing the swelling, so the prolapse can go back inside. Some do not fully stay in for a few days to a week. I would give 600 mg of calcium citrate with vitamin d orally today, and repeat it tomorrow if she is still prolapsed. That would be better than gradually drinking calcium, but if you can get in the full dose this evening that is fine. Is she able to poop? A daily warm soak just to her bottom, can help to keep her clean and help with healing. Pictures of the prolapse can be helpful.

It was all white with the poop I only fed her a few pellets since I wasn’t sure how she would poop. Ok will do I am looking for a larger syringe to get the calcium water in. Would oragano be ok too to mix with it

I would just give her a calcium tablet orally. They can swallow quite large tablets if you place it into the back of their beaks. Giving water with a syringe is a bit dangerous since they can choke on it. I like to hold a small cup up to the beak to have them drink on their own. You can dip their beak into it to get them to start. Be sure to keep the prolapse tissue that is out, moist at all times with sugar syrup, honey, or a mild oil.

Ok I cleaned it again with cloroxidine -water mix with a spray bottle to try to get the yukky off. I think she laid and egg and it broke had yellow on it. She is pooping fine it looks. I’ll just keep putting the calcium powder on her food then. It’s for reptiles but it’s pure calcium so I think that is the best way. Should I try to get it back in or just wait. I put surgar on it when I was done should I put some kind of oil on it too?

so, she is still alive! I thought i would have to cull her but she is trying. i kept spraying her with chloroxidine,drop of tea tree then putting sugar on it 2x a day on the prolapse then trying to put it in at night which lasts about a minute.. The end of it fell off yesterday(about as wide as her vent and 1/4 inch or so thick. and the rest went back in! she is pooping much better now. Still in the pump house trying to keep her out of the sun. Her comb is red and she is active. not eating a ton but i still have hope. so not sure if she will make it but i cant believe she made it this far...any other suggestions?

forgot to update this tread. she made it she is still alive. i dont think she is laying luckily so it might be a different story this spring. but super happy she is doing good so far.

So I was so excited that my Shetland hens finally started to lay. I think they are 7 months or so. This morning I let them out and found her with something hanging out of her vent, other then that she is perfectly normal so thinking it didn’t happen long ago.
managed to clean it as best as possible with warm water then some cloroxidine then put surger all over it and got it back in but…. As soon as I let her down she strains it back out, I did that twice then left it, she is in a small dog pen now that is clean with some calcium water with a tiny bit of food so she eats it. What do I do? You can’t stitch since she is laying? It’s like two thumbs size together tissue is still good.
This is vent prolapse, I wouldnt try to fix it its already weakened and would cause issues laying in the future/possible infection. So sorry this happened but i think you know what you need to do.😥. Poor baby. Must have just been weak in that area.

yes, i check on her everyday. so at least she gets a good couple of months before being culled.

My hen prolapsed last year. It took a couple of days of cleaning her up, but the prolapse finally stayed in. She still lays (when it’s not winter anyway), and hasn’t prolapsed again. You do not need to cull for a vent prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom