Pullet with sour crop? Not showing clear symptoms

Pics

YellowBird0

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
Dewey, Illinois
Hi all. I have a pullet who is about 10 weeks old, free ranging. Yesterday she spit up clear, sticky liquid, and had more dried on her chest and head. The liquid doesn't smell sour, more like stinky dog breath, if that makes sense. Her crop was flat this morning, and her vent is clean. I offered her some sunflowers - she ate a couple, then spit them up covered in clear mucous. She is otherwise roosting and active, hanging out with the other chicks.

Does this sound like sour crop? If there is nothing to massage out, should I just keep ACV in her water and cross my fingers? Or, does bad dog breath and mucous mean she's more likely to have a respiratory infection?

Thanks in advance for the help!

If her crop was empty this morning it's most likely not sour crop.
Does she do this spitting up right after drinking or when you pick her up?

Hi all. I have a pullet who is about 10 weeks old, free ranging. Yesterday she spit up clear, sticky liquid, and had more dried on her chest and head. The liquid doesn't smell sour, more like stinky dog breath, if that makes sense. Her crop was flat this morning, and her vent is clean. I offered her some sunflowers - she ate a couple, then spit them up covered in clear mucous. She is otherwise roosting and active, hanging out with the other chicks.

Does this sound like sour crop? If there is nothing to massage out, should I just keep ACV in her water and cross my fingers? Or, does bad dog breath and mucous mean she's more likely to have a respiratory infection?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I might be wrong, but this seems like ascites to me, it’s a terrible disease that is a build up of abdominal fluid. Does the hen have a dilated abdomen? That’s a huge red flag. If not, you’ve caught it in its early stages. Try searching up more about it and see any medication you can give your girl, or simply cull her ideas you don’t want to spend a lot in medical fees. I am really being dramatic but I suppose it could be something else.

This seems like ascites to me, it’s a terrible disease that is a build up of abdominal fluid. Does the hen have a dilated abdomen? That’s a huge red flag. I forgot not, you’ve caught it in its early stages. Try searching up more about it and see any medication you can give your girl, or simply cull her ideas you don’t want to spend a lot in medical fees.
:th
A ten week old is not likely to have ascites.

If her crop was empty this morning it's most likely not sour crop.
Does she do this spitting up right after drinking or when you pick her up?
That's what I was thinking, too - I expected a bloated crop, but nothing.

She doesn't spit up when I pick her up, or after drinking. I checked on her a bit ago and massaged her crop, which did cause her to spit up some more. She is a little sluggish today, and hesitant to eat (she picked up some corn and sunflowers, but spits some up while eating). Her crop is still empty, I don't think she's eating or drinking much today.

I might be wrong, but this seems like ascites to me, it’s a terrible disease that is a build up of abdominal fluid. Does the hen have a dilated abdomen? That’s a huge red flag. If not, you’ve caught it in its early stages. Try searching up more about it and see any medication you can give your girl, or simply cull her ideas you don’t want to spend a lot in medical fees. I am really being dramatic but I suppose it could be something else.

Thank you for the feedback, I hope it's not ascites! No obvious swelling, but I will keep an eye on her. I am hoping it's just something respiratory or crop related that TLC and medicine will fix.

Crops 'issues' can be a sign of coccidiosis or worms.

Have you ever had to treat anyone in the past with Corid?
(For coccidiosis)

Crops 'issues' can be a sign of coccidiosis or worms.

Have you ever had to treat anyone in the past with Corid?
(For coccidiosis)

I haven't, but all the pullets are on a starter-grower formula that is medicated, so hopefully that helps. I didn't think of worms, I'll look up some symptoms and see if she fits any. Thanks!

10 weeks old, free ranging. Yesterday she spit up clear, sticky liquid, and had more dried on her chest and head. The liquid doesn't smell sour, more like stinky dog breath

Her crop was flat this morning, and her vent is clean. I offered her some sunflowers - she ate a couple, then spit them up covered in clear mucous.

Or, does bad dog breath and mucous mean she's more likely to have a respiratory infection?

I checked on her a bit ago and massaged her crop, which did cause her to spit up some more. She is a little sluggish today, and hesitant to eat
Is she pooping? What does that look like?
Have you looked inside her beak and throat to make sure there's no blockage, canker, lesions?

The spitting back up with mucous even when the crop is empty? That's not right, so....it smells like dog breath - how about does it smell like sour kraut or something fermented?

Back
Top Bottom