Pump House Coop Reno

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Well chicken math got the best of me! And I’ve decided to fix up my old pump house 9.5x9.5 as a second coop and add a 16x8 Lean to run. It needs a lot of help! Here she is in all her glory. We ripped the siding off to find the original lap structure. I already have HC along the open eves. Next step will be fixing/patching the foundation. This gal needs a lot of help.

if anyone has suggestions on inside layout - including window placement, poop board & nest box location I’m all ears! I’d love to do 3x9.5 walk in/storage area. Door is on opposite gable side and facing east if that makes sense
A96DB3A9-688D-4FF0-BD59-A0C5483034DF.jpeg

Well chicken math got the best of me! And I’ve decided to fix up my old pump house 9.5x9.5 as a second coop and add a 16x8 Lean to run. It needs a lot of help! Here she is in all her glory. We ripped the siding off to find the original lap structure. I already have HC along the open eves. Next step will be fixing/patching the foundation. This gal needs a lot of help.

if anyone has suggestions on inside layout - including window placement, poop board & nest box location I’m all ears! I’d love to do 3x9.5 walk in/storage area. Door is on opposite gable side and facing east if that makes sense
View attachment 2420672
Can you post some pictures of the inside? Where are you placing your run?
Where do you want to place the run; off the back or one of the sides?
The roof looks new. Can you peel off the cap shingles and put in a ridge vent?
I would also remove the top siding boards from the gable peaks and cover them with 1/2" HC.
After the foundation is repaired, you will obviously want to replace the rotted siding boards too.
It looks like a great structure to convert into a coop.

Can you post some pictures of the inside? Where are you placing your run?
Where do you want to place the run; off the back or one of the sides?
The roof looks new. Can you peel off the cap shingles and put in a ridge vent?
I would also remove the top siding boards from the gable peaks and cover them with 1/2" HC.
After the foundation is repaired, you will obviously want to replace the rotted siding boards too.
It looks like a great structure to convert into a coop.

Great ideas! Thank you. This gal needs a lot of love and I’m sure people think I’m crazy for attempting to fix it lol The roof was replaced two years ago when I was originally going to convert it to a coop then went another direction. I’ll try to see if cap can be peeled back. I was planning the run be an L shape along the south and west wall (back and side you don’t see in photo above). There is a tree along south wall. I keep going back and forth whether to remove it or not. If not, my tin run roof will go around it. It will be nice for shade. See photo below

as far as sheathing, I have 4x8 LP on hand as long as structure is not bowed out & unfixable in areas (have to assess the east and south wall yet). Otherwise it will be vinyl sided as there are too many gaps in the plank walls.

Inside still needs to be cleaned out. It was grandpa’s old welding shack for many years and is very unique inside to say the least! We have a mess here! Photos attached are pre roof but show a little more of what we’re dealing with.

The windows have me flustered, mainly because of the possible poop board locations. The side walls are so low. I have access to old single pane farmhouse windows so I’d love to use them if possible.

Attachments

• B448DCD6-1232-49D3-ABCB-C9268E7CF972.jpeg
    B448DCD6-1232-49D3-ABCB-C9268E7CF972.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 10
  • CF63A133-21CE-4D6C-A822-5E98B63148AB.jpeg
    CF63A133-21CE-4D6C-A822-5E98B63148AB.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1F6474FD-61E0-4BE6-B451-89D22FE4E74F.jpeg
    1F6474FD-61E0-4BE6-B451-89D22FE4E74F.jpeg
    850.7 KB · Views: 16
Love to see old out buildings given new life and purpose. Keep us up to date with how this goes.

same!! I’m trying hard to preserve this one as it’s leaning but from what I can tell it’s been leaning for at least 60 years. Here is a pic of the working farmstead. All outbuildings are gone besides the garage and machine shed on right of driveway & the little pump house on left of driveway

Attachments

• 8E92AA0A-0925-4AFB-8A38-B11841F73291.jpeg
    8E92AA0A-0925-4AFB-8A38-B11841F73291.jpeg
    724.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom