Pure Lavender English Orpington Roo x Barred Rock Hen

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
First off I have neither of these birds but I would love to. I'm assuming crossing the English orpington lavender roo with a barred rock hen will give me sex links. Has anybody ever done this do you have pictures? Any thoughts?

Also I'm not strong in the genetics lingo department. You may have to break out your Crayons...

This is the two that produced barred rock babies
Update , I have one baby that is looking like a spangled version of a barred rock and the rest is black that is out of the Lavender Ameraucana and Cream Legbar

Attachments

• D9CD7F19-C09B-4641-8951-46F3F62354E1.jpeg
    D9CD7F19-C09B-4641-8951-46F3F62354E1.jpeg
    795.6 KB · Views: 25
I haven't done this before, but yes, it will give you sex links! The hens can't pass the barred gene on to their female chicks, they can only pass it on to their male chicks. So the males will be barred and the females will be solid, but they will all be black (or black barred) because lavender is recessive.

ETA: Explaining why is a little complicated. You know how, in humans, females are XX and males are XY? Chickens are different; females are ZW and males are ZZ. The barred gene is on the Z chromosome, and is dominant, meaning that if a male has one copy of barred gene and one copy of a non-barred gene, the barred gene will win out.

Let's say if a chicken is barred, it is a capital "Z"; if it isn't, it's a lowercase "z." The barring is not present on the "w," so that's irrelevant. Remember, if a chicken has a copy of one uppercase "Z", it will be barred. If it has a "w," it will be a female.

You have a barred female (Zw) with a non-barred male (zz). All the female chicks get a lowercase "z" (no barring) from their dad, and a "w" (where barring doesn't exist) from their mom. So they are all going to be zw (non-barred).

The males, on the other hand, are getting a lowercase "z" (no barring) from their dad, and an uppercase Z (barred) from their mom (if they got a w, they would be female, not male). So they are Zz, and since big Z (barred) beats little z (non-barred), they'll look barred!

Does that make sense? I hope I haven't dumbed it down too much, I used to teach kindergarten and I'm afraid lots of my explanations skew very high on the "kindergarten teacher tone" scale.

Last edited:
First off I have neither of these birds but I would love to. I'm assuming crossing the English orpington lavender roo with a barred rock hen will give me sex links. Has anybody ever done this do you have pictures? Any thoughts?

Also I'm not strong in the genetics lingo department. You may have to break out your Crayons...
Hello I am soon hatching chicks from my flock.. I have two olive eggers, one queen green , two Easter eggers , and two barred rock . All hens . My roo is a lavender Orpington. I'll let you know what happens with this mix. Excited to see !!

Update , I have one baby that is looking like a spangled version of a barred rock and the rest is black that is out of the Lavender Ameraucana and Cream Legbar
As promised Another update On 2/21/2023

Attachments

• 0DFFDAC1-A61D-4185-8C54-4C920201D713.jpeg
    0DFFDAC1-A61D-4185-8C54-4C920201D713.jpeg
    761.7 KB · Views: 8
  • CBB47687-DEF5-4143-9B52-01E065BF7D25.jpeg
    CBB47687-DEF5-4143-9B52-01E065BF7D25.jpeg
    659.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom