Quail chick laying on its side

CoopDeQuail

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2024
Came into the brooder tonight and found one (cortunix) laying on its side and appearing to be gasping for air. It cannot stand up and also appears to be one of the runts of the group of 12.
Temps in the brooder are fine, 95F on the hot side and 75F on the cooler side. Feeding 30% gamebird starter, their food is all ground up via coffee grinder and the water is kept on the cooler side as well.
How can I help it, or can I even help it?

Start with some Nutri-Drench to give it an energy burst. Can you post pictures?

If it's a runt, it might not make it. Those are the most likely to fail to thrive.
unfortunately the bird has died. I will look into getting some of htat nutri-drench for the future.

The birds poop was almost completely clear as well. I am not sure if that helps with what could have been wrong with bird.

unfortunately the bird has died. I will look into getting some of htat nutri-drench for the future.

The birds poop was almost completely clear as well. I am not sure if that helps with what could have been wrong with bird.
If the poop was clear, it sounds like it wasn't eating. Runts often have problems getting to the food. You might try having more than one place with food and water. It also may have just failed to thrive. That does sometimes happen with chicks.

If the poop was clear, it sounds like it wasn't eating. Runts often have problems getting to the food. You might try having more than one place with food and water. It also may have just failed to thrive. That does sometimes happen with chicks.
Appreciate the advice, thank you

Back
Top Bottom