Quail dieing

Diggypup

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2022
-WARNING ON IMAGES-

I have an emergency, i lost i think 7 quail in the past 5 days, 3 were a month old and 4 were 2 months old 2 male 3 female and 2 unknown. They stopped laying eggs and all the females started losing alot of weight. They all got along no injuries or fights but i did have alot of males compared to females. I thought that was the problem so i separated them but the females still wouldnt eat but i had them in a temperary area because i am remodeling and upgrading the coup i have for them. For 2 months they were all fine i switched them to a non heating light about a week before they started dieing i changed it back but that didn't help they did get out a week before this happened and ai is all over so i checked for any signs of that and it doesnt seem to be ai
No coughing or nasal fluid or purpleness and at first there was no blood. Today i found a male quail that's face was just gashed open and i picked him up he started puking and twitched then died, they have a clean area but it is on the ground, i brought the quail in and separated the birds from who is fluffed up or skinny and who seems fine i left the sick looking ones out there till today when i saw the damage. They seem to die of possible starvation or dehydration but i love my quail and i visit them every day theres no coughing or confused looking quail or anything just they slow down and are super skinny even a couple that weren't skinny had died. They always have food and water the temp hasn't gone under 20⁰f they don't seem cold they seem to have normal poops exept when i see them dieing they have runny poop, they did have internally cracked eggs hatching out for a week or 2 before they just stopped laying atall. I also have chickens and ducks i free range i feed them after the quail so i feel if it was ai it would have been transmitted to them way early but they are 100% fine and the internet doesnt seem to say much about quail
I put the quail with 4 my newly hatched 2 week old quail and so far they don't seem to catch anything and are perfectly fine

If anyone has any idea what's going on I'd love the help on what i can do to save them, they are all inside away from mice now and i am hurrying to finish the new area for them but i am down to 9 males and 3 females who aren't laying and i am starting to panic

These were taken as he was dieing of his face and feet. There were no prior attacks to any quail from eachother exept ones eye was cut and i healed him up weeks ago
One of the 1 month olds that died during this may have had cuts on his neck but he was already cold and stiff, he did have missing feathers by his chest
Noone else has blood on them atall, not face, beak, feet or feathers.

Attachments

• 20220419_122545.jpg
    20220419_122545.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220419_122655.jpg
    20220419_122655.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220419_122540.jpg
    20220419_122540.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 35
Avian flu?

Signs of Avian Flu Illness in Birds Sudden death; lack of energy, appetite and coordination; purple discoloration and/or swelling of various body parts; diarrhea; nasal discharge; coughing; sneezing; and reduced egg production and/or abnormal eggs.

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/avian_flu_animal_handlers.pdf
Thank you for this link
they arent coughing, sneezing, they have good coordination, no discoloration, no nasal discharge, they might have swelling, no diarrhea exept when they are twitching about to die, and my other poultry hasn't caught it from them or anywhere in the yard free ranging

You may need to restart your covey - it’s unfortunate and I’m sorry that you’re experiencing this.

Might I suggest one of the quickest setups for an aviary is a dog kennel (at least 4’ high), and wrapped in poultry netting.

The ratio is even more unfortunate, but it seems that the hens are stressed and may even be overbred if you start your covey over with those remaining (1:3).

I’m not at all expert on this, but those are my novice suggestions.

What are you feeding them? What is their setup like? Is it clean?

You may want to send one of the dead birds to a state necropsy lab to find out why they're dying.

Thank you for this link
they arent coughing, sneezing, they have good coordination, no discoloration, no nasal discharge, they might have swelling, no diarrhea exept when they are twitching about to die, and my other poultry hasn't caught it from them or anywhere in the yard free ranging
Sorry for your loss. You did say they weren't showing those symptoms. Did you mention that you just put them outside before they started dying? Or were they there for a bit before you changed the light?

What are you feeding them? What is their setup like? Is it clean?

You may want to send one of the dead birds to a state necropsy lab to find out why they're dying.
I feed them purina gamebird 30% protein that is recommended for quail and turkeys
They have a set up on the ground in a temperary cage at the moment because im upgrading their hutch
They have straw and all sides are blocked from wind and rain
The temp here is 20-50⁰f and always have cleaned feed and water 2 times a day and i make sure they don't run out i just hatched them out in February so my male to female ratio wasn't perfect i had 1:1 ratio i did end up separating the males and females after they were old enough to sex
The females are still slowly starving even being sparated
Thank you yes i plan on sending one in i havent lost any more since this post but some arent doing good so i will definitly send them in
The upgraded area will be done soon so the stress levels on them should go down alot if this is just stress related

Sorry for your loss. You did say they weren't showing those symptoms. Did you mention that you just put them outside before they started dying? Or were they there for a bit before you changed the light?
They were out there for a bit, i was extra careful with them since i never raised quail till this year but i have done turkey, chicken and duck just fine
They showed no symptoms of anything besides it was getting warmer out and they were well acclimated so i took the heat lamp out and ir was 50⁰ out they all had their feathers and i had them out there for about a month before takong out the heat lamp
after about a week they started laying internally cracked eggs then one young male i saw seemed way too skinny and i check on my birds every day 2 times a day so it must have happened over 2 days it is hard to look at every chick every day
But he died then i saw 2 more died one was a young tux and another was a 2 month old female so i picked some up and they all seemed so boney
They all seem to have normal poops but at the moment when they are weak and about to die they start having liquid poop and pukeing
None have layed any eggs atall
They aren't clumsy and they are verbal with the happy little chirps and calls and very active

Back
Top Bottom