Quail made an egg call but no egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo3

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2022
This is a thing that sometimes happens when a female lays an egg, she screams laying an egg or after laying one. My hen was screaming but no egg. The screaming is called an egg call. Can anyone help out?

How long has it been since she last laid an egg? Is she getting enough calcium? Can you feel an egg stuck in her vent?

If she's egg bound, you can let her soak in a warm (quail body temp or a couple degrees above) epsom salt bath, and that will help her pass the egg. If she is egg bound, she will be sitting with her feathers puffed and not look happy.

How long has it been since she last laid an egg? Is she getting enough calcium? Can you feel an egg stuck in her vent?

If she's egg bound, you can let her soak in a warm (quail body temp or a couple degrees above) epsom salt bath, and that will help her pass the egg. If she is egg bound, she will be sitting with her feathers puffed and not look happy.
She last laid an egg nearly 3 weeks ago, she eats a purina gamebird layena crumble mixed with quail seed mix. I have not checked if she is egg bound.

She last laid an egg nearly 3 weeks ago, she eats a purina gamebird layena crumble mixed with quail seed mix. I have not checked if she is egg bound.
First, stop feeding her quail seed mix. If you read the nutrition information, it's basically quail junk food. The gamebird layena should give her proper nutrition, including enough calcium.

How old is she? Have you changed anything in her environment recently?

It sounds like there's something around that's giving her some stress, which will stop her from laying. A lot of things can stop them from laying. Not enough light (at least 14 hours/day), too many males, a predator hanging around, over crowding, any recent changes to her environment, too hot, too cold, not enough hiding places, etc.

There's been no changes and there is only 1 male, there is artificial lighting, no predators, and she is 9-11 weeks old

I only use a little of quail mix, I mix a bit wild bird seed, quail seed and it is mostly crumble.

In a cage, have a sand bowl, food, and water

Attachments

• 16579796276513827550625055383630.jpg
    16579796276513827550625055383630.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom