Quail sleeping all the time

sjaved789

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
London City
Hi guys
In my previous thread I mentioned I have a quail separated from the rest of the flock because her eyes had been pecked. One eye was closed for days but today I noticed her opening it a few times (y). However I am worried. She is always falling asleep during the day and night and suddenly wakes up during the night and starts going crazy and flapping her wings! Also she never eats her food from her bowl or drinks from her feeder. She only eats the food on the floor and never drinks water. I remember a blind person telling me when they first became blind they would be sleeping most of the time because the brain thinks its night. Also the fact she is not eating or drinking from the feeder has me worried she might be blind :( can someone help me please. How can I be sure?

Last edited:
I guess if you go to pick her up and she doesn't react until you touch her is a good indicator. Take hold of her and dip her beak in the water dish so she know where it is... kinda. Might be best of getting another friendly female in there too as a sort of companion/guide bird.

I guess if you go to pick her up and she doesn't react until you touch her is a good indicator. Take hold of her and dip her beak in the water dish so she know where it is... kinda. Might be best of getting another friendly female in there too as a sort of companion/guide bird.

Thank you soooooo much. She seems blind and im so sad. I waved my hand in front of her face and she does not even react , but as soon as she walks into my hand or I touch her she starts running away. I notice she only reacts to light as she turns to my direction when I shine light at her. But as soon as I stuck her beak in the water and put her down she ran straight to the water bowl and starting drinking so much! Poor girl must of been so thirsty. What the hell am I meant to do with her now? I think she must of been blind before she was attacked as she was always sleepy and thats why I assumed she was sick and took her out the flock. When I put her back in the quails attacked her eyes so it makes sense now.So what now??? Should I just end it? Why meee ??

Last edited:
If you have a water fountain that flows water and makes noise, you can set that up for her and she will follow the sound to the water. Make sure it is low and easy to access. You can sprinkle food around this water area as well so she can find the food too. Use paper towels or just a towel so when she steps on the food, she will feel it beneath her feet and eat from there. It is possible she is blind, being that she is sleeping a lot. The panic attacks are most likely because she can't see. I am sorry about your baby. She will need to be a house bird at this point, I would think.

Thanks! I have already lost one quail when quail when an egg got stuck in her abdomen and now I fear for this one. Raising quail is stressful hmpf

Also, don't sneak up on her. Make sure she hears you coming as being too quiet might cause her to panic. So talk to her from a distance before you approach her. And once she figures out where the food and water is, never move it. Not even an inch. Keep it in a constant spot so that not only can she find it, but this will give her security in knowing that she will always be able to find food and water.

Thats a good point. I still plan on moving her back with the rest of the flock but i dont want her getting use to her current setup then me moving her. This is confusing, I didn't expect having to deal with blind quail when I was starting off. I cant process her either as I dont have the heart and I have got close to her ( I know weird excuse)

I am the same way. I think this is a good learning opportunity for you and her. As long as she is not suffering in any way, if she were my bird, I would bring her inside and let her live her life out in a quiet manner. I wouldn't put her back out with the others being blind. She will never survive. No doubt they will kill her because she appears ill. You would be better off putting her down if you can not keep her by herself.

Back
Top Bottom