Quails and bantams cohabitation

cluck queen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2016
Texas
Hello all! I have two small black bantam hens and 4 corournix quail. Can they share a mini coop and run. Those ones you buy from Amazon. Its got two sections for them to go into. I know quail are naturally skittish and hens are hens but they are both about the same size honestly. Can I have them together? The bantams are with my regular sized gals and get run over. Trying to give everyone a chance for space and peace.

How much space does the mini coop/run have? Do you have a photo or link to the product you're considering?

My first instinct is - not a good idea to combine the Quail with Chickens. There are some diseases that more readily affect Quail.

If it's a coop with a ramp the Quail will likely not go inside housing, they will sleep on the ground or in a box on the ground - is the run covered/roofed? Is there plenty of room for you to place some hides for the Quail? Is the run very secure against rats/mice and predators?

I get that you are looking for solutions, but it may be better to have a hutch or cage for the Quail and a separate coop/run for the chickens.
I also understand finances/budget may be a factor.

TSC has a XXL dog cage that is 48.5"L x 30.25"W x 32.5"H this can be covered with hardware cloth and would be a suitable size for 4 Quail. It would still need something to cover it to keep out weather/wind, like a tarp or similar. And getting it up off the ground would be a good idea too.

Honestly, some of the prefab products will not last very long out in the elements. If you can provide cover/shelter for them, they will last longer. But as a short term solution, sometimes it's better than nothing.

You will also want to consider how much space is for the 2 hens (chickens) as well. They still need some room to be comfy.

So, if possible, house them separately.

Just my thoughts.

How much space does the mini coop/run have? Do you have a photo or link to the product you're considering?

My first instinct is - not a good idea to combine the Quail with Chickens. There are some diseases that more readily affect Quail.

If it's a coop with a ramp the Quail will likely not go inside housing, they will sleep on the ground or in a box on the ground - is the run covered/roofed? Is there plenty of room for you to place some hides for the Quail? Is the run very secure against rats/mice and predators?

I get that you are looking for solutions, but it may be better to have a hutch or cage for the Quail and a separate coop/run for the chickens.
I also understand finances/budget may be a factor.

TSC has a XXL dog cage that is 48.5"L x 30.25"W x 32.5"H this can be covered with hardware cloth and would be a suitable size for 4 Quail. It would still need something to cover it to keep out weather/wind, like a tarp or similar. And getting it up off the ground would be a good idea too.

Honestly, some of the prefab products will not last very long out in the elements. If you can provide cover/shelter for them, they will last longer. But as a short term solution, sometimes it's better than nothing.

You will also want to consider how much space is for the 2 hens (chickens) as well. They still need some room to be comfy.

So, if possible, house them separately.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks. Yes its one I found on Amazon. It probably won't be big enough but my quail are only 4. I'm also about to buy a new dog kennel/chicken run for my 25 big gals to scuttle about in too as extra. I've laid drainage rock and strung up a hanging feeder, bought and build a galvanized roll out laying box and I'm exhausted lol too much in two days for Me hahaha

Right, even 4 Quail can be a bit territorial. If you do decide to put them with the bantams, provide the Quail with hiding places that the chickens can't get into or turn over. It may work out, you can try it, but have a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom