Question about a chick a lady gave me to try to nurse back to health

dezziy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Ocala, Florida!
She was bringing her chicks to the flea market and this baby one got knocked over and smashed and trampled almost to death by the other chicks when she handed it to me it was just laying there cold and breathing a little . i warmed it in my hands and took it home helped it drink some water and now its making its little chick noises and trying to get up but it seems like it cant put even weight down on both sides but its trying to i made it a nice bed with a heating pad . what else can i try . also do you guys think it will live? it also keeps its eyes close for most of the time it opens them sometimes i put my silky chick with it so it had some company for awhile so its not lonely im a sucker for a cute chick..................... but please let me know what i can do to help or any kind of info please please please lets pray this little guy makes it

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You might want to give it some electrolytes and vitamins. I guess time will tell if it will recover. Good luck, maybe it will be your miracle Easter chick!

i have a heating pad on low and i made like a little cave with a blanket so its not right on top of the heating pad and its all cuddled in there all nice and warm im gonna go make some sugar water now what else should i buy it for electrolytes and vitamins it also seems to have its eyes closed almost all the time i wish i knew what was wrong with it .... lets just pray it gets better thanks you guys for the tips <3

i have a heating pad on low and i made like a little cave with a blanket so its not right on top of the heating pad and its all cuddled in there all nice and warm im gonna go make some sugar water now what else should i buy it for electrolytes and vitamins it also seems to have its eyes closed almost all the time i wish i knew what was wrong with it .... lets just pray it gets better thanks you guys for the tips <3
Hi,
Well, if you want to give it an emergency nutritional supplement, the best on the market is Poultry Nutri-Drench. Available at feed stores and online. I get mine at Tractor Supply Company. Made by Bovidr Labs, it is a top notch emergency nutritional supplement made by a quality company which specializes in this product for many species. I have used their formulas on my collies and poultry for years. The best thing about this product is that it mainlines into the bloodstream without needing digestion. Perfect for creatures whose G.I. tract is compromised by injury or stesss.
The little bottle costs between 7.-10. and has an eye dropper included. Just give one drop by mouth per chick. Then add 4cc per gallon to their water. for as long as you desire. If they find that solution is too strong for their taste, back down to 2cc per gallon and you will also have good success with that ratio. The small bottle is very concentrated and lasts a long time. See their website:
http://www.bovidr.com/poultry.html (800,000+ birds can't be wrong)
Best,
Karen

Well............ he did not make it thru the night . i knew this could happen but it broke my heart. i tried my best. atleast he was warm and cozy . i wrapped him up and buried him in the back yard . i hate that i still get so emotional . my oldest son he is gonna be 17 he teared up. sad sad easter day. thanks again for the info guys

So sorry the little chick you tried to save passed over. At least he/she was comfortable and warm and sensed, at least on some level that you were
trying to help.

It is so sad. We hatched out 31 of 42 eggs we set two weekends ago and the last two out - which is often the case, at least from our hatching experience, had 'issues'.

The next to last one was just so tiny - didn't think she'd make it 24 hours but she did. Then noticed that she was breathing so hard and it was like
her breathing and heart rate were very speeded up.

She still kept eating, singing a cute little song and snuggleing up to her hatchmates. Then I noticed that her peers were growing fast and, although
'Tweetie' was eating and drinking as much as they were, she failed to grow or put on any weight.

The next day she 'cried the distress chirp' almost constantly, still eating and drinking but nothing seemed to comfort her. I found her the next morning
dead in the pre-brooder that I keep the chicks in - inside the house - until they are 3-4 weeks old.

Not only was 'Tweetie' such an adorable little baby but she was also such a fighter - wanted to stay alive so bad - you can just tell the ones who really
want to make it. Sadly she probably had some genetic defect that didn't allow her to properly absorb her food and she 'failed to thrive' in spite of her
best efforts.

The other chick, the last one to come out of her shell has a deformed leg. Instead of it facing downward - under her body - her left hip goes out to the
side and that leg just sort of drags along but she is learning how to balance herself on her good leg and using the other one as a counterbalance.
She is eating and drinking and growing fairly well but sleeps and rests more than her peers - I'm guessing because it hurts or wears her out to move
around a lot.

I know I should probably 'cull' her but instead, I plan to grow her out along with my other 80 chicks and sell her to a family as a 'special needs' chick.
All she needs is a little extra TLC and coopmates that will not pick on her. So far her peers in the pre-brooder are treating her as an equal and not
picking on her bad leg.

At least you know you did all you could to give the chick a chance - sometimes all we can do - even for a chick in distress is to provide 'hospice-like' care making their short time in this life as comfortable as is possible.

thank you very much it is hospice like care we give them when they need it . i feel bad for them i know some people are use to it i have seen some people just throw them to the side or in the trash but for some reason i can not bring myself to do it even though it breaks my heart every time one dies. i met a lady that runs a farm im gonna be helping her on her farm feed and water her animals i cant wait but i know when i see something die ill cry .................. im just glad the chicky is in a better place now thanks again guys <3 i hope someone nice adopts the special needs chick you have i bet its very cute :)

Back
Top Bottom