Question about diatomaceous earth

kmartinez

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
I am a bit confused about using this. I saw it in the feed section of poultry so i looked it up..I read articles on it but the articles contradict each other so i am at a loss..

one article stated to buy food grade DE and to sprinkle it in with the food but not over a certain percentage if memory serves me correct it was like 2 oz per 25 lbs of food..

second article state to sprinkle this stuff all over the coop as well, bedding, dust bath, corners of the coop etc...

ummm i dont think i should be spreading it around the coop right??? I read on the bag
"wear a mask when using"

So i read up some more one it and I am still confused as i was before even blogs stating to "sprinkle it in knooks and roosting bars but make sure the area is ventilated when applying...

Is this stuff safe???
How do people use it and why?

The more I read about it the more i read ohh its good but also it seems to be bad..So i am just confused as to using it

food grade DE is good stuff to use in the coop. you just don't want to breathe it in while sprinkling it around. It's great for killing off mites and lice, especially if it's in the area your chickens take their dust baths.

In your studying, did you find anything about the benefits? do a search and you'll understand why it's good stuff, but you want to use the food grade (that in itself should tell you it's good).....

Yeah some sites stated for parasites, and to dust the coop with it but when they added wear a mask its not good to breathe in I was thrown off scratching my head..

Yeah some sites stated for parasites, and to dust the coop with it but when they added wear a mask its not good to breathe in I was thrown off scratching my head..
you just don't want to inhale it and get it in your lungs. Some people put a teaspoon in a glass of water and drink it every day, it won't hurt you that way. But you don't want to get it in your lungs.

Back
Top Bottom