Question about Food Grade vs Feed Grade DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by familyguy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. familyguy

familyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    I ma new to chickens and am planning on using the Deep Litter method in my coop this winter with my three ladies. I am looking locally for Food Grade DE and not having much luck, but my local agricultural feed store has a FEED grade DE that they add to grain and such - would this be the same as Food Grade? Would be nice to be able to get this locally rather than having to buy it somewhere off the internet.
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    The only place i found DE was from Meyers Hatchery in Ohio...they call it Red Lake Earth. Hope this is some help to you.

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:If it is meant for feed, I would certainly take a closer look at it. What you want is the Perma Guard Fossil Flour, this is the human/food grade DE. Definitely take a look at the label and check it out, if it is safe to use in the animal's feed, buy it!! I've heard of the Red Lake DE and that is supposed to be safe for animal use, not necessarily human-but if you can get it locally buy it! I said that already didn't I? lol

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    It is the same---food grade & feed grade. I get our DE from the mill here and it is labled "FEED GRADE" because that is all they can sell it as. They can only sell it as feed-grade or an anti-caking agent.

It's perma-guard DE/fossil shell flour, it's the same thing. They're a perma-guard distributor.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, that's fine to use. It can be used IN animal feed to keep it 'loose' or in the bedding so it keeps THAT loose too, and if chickens pick, peck at it it's safe for them.

6. familyguy

familyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    thanks for the help everyone! I am sure that I will have loads and loads more questions as we go along!
    Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by