Question about Food Grade vs Feed Grade DE

familyguy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
I ma new to chickens and am planning on using the Deep Litter method in my coop this winter with my three ladies. I am looking locally for Food Grade DE and not having much luck, but my local agricultural feed store has a FEED grade DE that they add to grain and such - would this be the same as Food Grade? Would be nice to be able to get this locally rather than having to buy it somewhere off the internet.
Thanks!
Jim

The only place i found DE was from Meyers Hatchery in Ohio...they call it Red Lake Earth. Hope this is some help to you.

Quote:
If it is meant for feed, I would certainly take a closer look at it. What you want is the Perma Guard Fossil Flour, this is the human/food grade DE. Definitely take a look at the label and check it out, if it is safe to use in the animal's feed, buy it!! I've heard of the Red Lake DE and that is supposed to be safe for animal use, not necessarily human-but if you can get it locally buy it! I said that already didn't I? lol

It is the same---food grade & feed grade. I get our DE from the mill here and it is labled "FEED GRADE" because that is all they can sell it as. They can only sell it as feed-grade or an anti-caking agent.

It's perma-guard DE/fossil shell flour, it's the same thing. They're a perma-guard distributor.

thanks for the help everyone! I am sure that I will have loads and loads more questions as we go along!
Jim

Back
Top Bottom