Question about tapeworms treatment and mine and my chickens' future...

TheBantamRooTwo

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
Hello all!

I have a question that needs to be answered.

So I have a flock of 15 chickens at my house. Some of them (if not all of them) have tapeworms. We have treated them with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Dewormer and Diatomaceous Earth for the tapes and Corid for what we think is coccidiosis in a Jersey Giant hen.

This year I am graduating from high school (yay!) and going off to college. This is where my question is: What should I do about the tapeworms??

I have read that you can kill the tapeworms with products with praziquantel (like Equimax Horse Paste or Zimectrin Gold), but you also have to repeatedly and aggressively treat the area they live in because of the eggs and proglottids from the worms produce. I am going off to college this fall and I feel really bad about forcing my parents and younger brother to take care of the chickens because I am not there. I really feel that when I am gone, I won't be around enough to help with this, and if the treatment doesn't work, we will be back to square one.

I have thought about this a lot, and I think that what I am going to do is still regularly treat the chickens for the tapes and other worms in general, (this might sound cruel...) but not completely/effectively treat and kill the worms because of how aggressive the treatment is and how much it could potentially cost.

Can someone please advise and give me peace of mind??

Do you have any pictures of the droppings with tapeworms? Were there any moving proglottids in the droppings? Have you had a fecal float done on some fresh droppings? Not all of your chickens would necessarily have tapeworms if one has them. If you see the tapeworm segments in one’s poop, I would treat just that bird. They have to eat one of the intermediate hosts such as earthworms, snails, slugs, beetles, flies, fleas, or grasshoppers, to get tapeworms. Mice and moles also contain them, and chickens have been known to eat them. Praziquantel is effective. Equimax dosage is 0.03 ml per pound of weight given orally once and again in 14 days is how to treat them. Here is a good video of tapeworms in droppings:

Do you have any pictures of the droppings with tapeworms? Were there any moving proglottids in the droppings? Have you had a fecal float done on some fresh droppings? Not all of your chickens would necessarily have tapeworms if one has them. If you see the tapeworm segments in one’s poop, I would treat just that bird. They have to eat one of the intermediate hosts such as earthworms, snails, slugs, beetles, flies, fleas, or grasshoppers, to get tapeworms. Mice and moles also contain them, and chickens have been known to eat them. Praziquantel is effective. Equimax dosage is 0.03 ml per pound of weight given orally once and again in 14 days is how to treat them. Here is a good video of tapeworms in droppings:

I do not have any pictures at the moment (but I can go take some if you want). I don't mean for this to sound rude (I really hope it doesn't) but I know they are tapeworms. They have had them since December (that was the first time I noticed them and I had a complete mental breakdown, but I'm better now). I see proglottids all the time (both moving and not moving). There are multiple chickens with tapeworms. I do not know how many exactly, but I think it's more than 5.

As for the praziquantel, I just don't know if I should even try to treat them because it is really hard to find the medication and the cost of it compared to how much we would have to use is a lot. I think you also have to treat the ground they live on. Does that make sense?

Safeguard liquid goat wormer is more expensive than Equimax equine paste. Safeguard wont treat tapeworms and DE is a waste of money.
Give your tapeworm infected birds Equimax and it's bye bye tapeworms. You might even see tapeworm bits and pieces or even the whole tapeworm excreted from one of your birds if your lucky.
I've dealt with tapeworms a few times.
Here's where you can get the Equimax:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/equimax wormer?

Screenshot_20220405-204756.png

Safeguard liquid goat wormer is more expensive than Equimax equine paste. Safeguard wont treat tapeworms and DE is a waste of money.
Give your tapeworm infected birds Equimax and it's bye bye tapeworms. You might even see tapeworm bits and pieces or even the whole tapeworm excreted from one of your birds if your lucky.
I've dealt with tapeworms a few times.
Here's where you can get the Equimax:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/equimax wormer?
After you treat the tapeworms, how often have they come back, and do you have to treat the ground for eggs?

I never could find it at Tractor Supply (even online). The only place I have been able to actually find Equimax is on Chewy.com and it was out of stock.

Also, we treated our chickens with Corid a couple of days ago, and my brother found a whole dead tapeworm in one of our bantam hen's poop. I highly doubt the Corid would have killed it, (but I also am not an expert on parasites and treatment. I can really only identify them...) but COULD it have killed it, or would it have just died from age or something???

After you treat the tapeworms, how often have they come back, and do you have to treat the ground for eggs?

I never could find it at Tractor Supply (even online). The only place I have been able to actually find Equimax is on Chewy.com and it was out of stock.

Also, we treated our chickens with Corid a couple of days ago, and my brother found a whole dead tapeworm in one of our bantam hen's poop. I highly doubt the Corid would have killed it, (but I also am not an expert on parasites and treatment. I can really only identify them...) but COULD it have killed it, or would it have just died from age or something???
No...the Corid absolutely did not kill a tapeworm.

Back
Top Bottom