question on road kill chicken on Ice

Quote:
You didn't say how long she was on ice, or how long she was dead before she got to the ice, which I think would both matter.

I am sure there are lots of game birds (game fish and game mammals) that are not cleaned and gutted in the field. I do not recall ever seeing any bird hunters walking through the woods with bags of ice. So, I expect a few hours would be fine. Sorry, I don't know when a few turns into a few too many.

Did you actually see her get hit? If not, and you don't know exactly how long she had been there, then no way, toss the carcass. If you know right when it happened and you got the carcass on ice immediately, then you might be all right. Although I agree with Horsefeathers-anything that had been on the side of the road at all would gross me out! You never know if some animal has either died/rotted or defecated there, it just sounds nasty to me, LOL.

Quote:
FOR REAL? If you know the bird wasn't dead for to long, EAT IT!!! Some of the old timers would hand their game birds until the body dropped from the head and they survived just fine. Here is an address from the UK where they wouldn't think of eating game birds without hanging, to age, therefor tenderizing. The forum is-- (The Hunting Life) Go to--Living of the Land, Go to Hanging. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic2442-hanging/ this is the address, would someone kindly show a link that can just be clicked on to get to the site????

On the other hand, if you have not had a lot of practice plucking and gutting a bird, you could use her to practice on, thereby giving some meaning to her life, if that's something you care about. After a day on ice, though, I'd do it outside and put a clothespin on my nose!

Back
Top Bottom