Questionable symptoms in newborn chicks, 4 died, 1 left. Please help ASAP!

No...Get her with the Chick 100% or 0%

Sorry I am new at all this and just want to make sure I understand what you are suggesting...

I will have all other hens and wild chickens outside and free-ranging away from the coop (the way we built it, it’s just one large area with nesting boxes in the back. It’s sumple and it has a lot of space.)

So, it would only be the mama hen in the coop, and if I was to bring in the baby, should I have her roaming around the coop like normal with the hen or should I keep her in her cardboard box screened off from Mom? Just put her in there like normal? I still will need to treat the coop for the mites in the morning and also maybe for cocci... besides general cleaning does anyone else has a suggestion of what to use specifically to clean any cocci within the actual coop housing?

I only have diotaneceous earth on hand.. I bought it the other day and have never used it, have been reluctant. Will it be ok to use in the shed the same morning as introducing the baby chick back to the coop? I plan to scoop everything out of the coop, sprinkle DE, put in more sand / wood chips and also take out and keep out the nesting boxes (that’s where the mites were)

Cocci is everywhere. It isn't something you can clean away, unless you keep your birds away from dirt their whole lives, and keep any dirt from your shoes out of the coop.

If it's Coccidosis, the Corid will cure it in the birds, and let them get their immunity up. But if they got it because the lice and mites weakened them, they will still be susceptible until the parasites are eliminated.

Not sure if you’d have any advice on how to introduce them specifically... just put baby right in coop? Or bring them close first?

I would catch the hen, bring her in and settle her into a crate/kennel, and then put the chick in with her. And then park right there to pull the baby out if she gets aggressive with it.

I used to use DE a lot, but have recently stopped, as there are studies showing it's very hard on the birds' lungs, which can make them susceptible to lung infections.

Do you think using it tomorrow this one time will be ok? I can call my local feed store in the morning to see if they have other options but they aren’t open until 10am :(

Back
Top Bottom