Questionable symptoms in newborn chicks, 4 died, 1 left. Please help ASAP!

It is not uncommon for broody hen's nests to become overrun with mites when they are brooding. They provide a 24/7 banqueting opportunity for the mites. She has done incredibly well to stick to her eggs until they hatched despite the infestation. I've seen broody hens abandon nests with just a few days to do because they were crawling with mires and being eaten alive. The chances are, the blood spots you saw were where the mites had been sucking the chicks' blood or perhaps been pecked or scratched at due to the irritation. It is possible that the chicks died because they had crush injuries due to the broody being irritated by the mites instead of focussing on her chicks. I now always dust my broody hens' nests with DE prior to setting them and a couple of times during the incubation period to keep mites to a minimum, since I had that incident I mentioned where my broody abandoned her nest and I was horrified to see the eggs in it crawling with mites.
The gaping you describe the chicks doing is most likely due to respiratory system injury

I think it is unlikely to be coccidiosis because broody reared chicks are much more resistant to it and also some of them died before they had even eaten anything. I think the mites are the cause of your problems and have possibly resulted in accidental crushing of the chicks by the broody.

To treat the coop, you can try using the DE until you get something stronger. Get a crate or large cardboard box and reunite the broody and chick asap. If the broody has had a chance to dust bath and rid herself of most of them, she should be better able to care for the chick. As regards treating the coop, I use a soft dustpan brush to dip into the DE and then dust it into all the nooks and crannies of the coop but particularly around the roost and nest box areas. Obviously wear a mask and remove all bedding material and sweep it out thoroughly before you start. I would keep the broody and chick in the cardboard box in a garage or shed or even spare room overnight to let things settle. It takes a few days to take effect because it kills by dehydrating the mites. I would definitely invest in some permethrin spray for the future though as this will almost certainly be a recurring problem in the coop. You will probably need to retreat the coop at weekly intervals for a few weeks before you bottom the problem. Anywhere that there is a gap in the coop is where the mites will live and breed and then they crawl out to feed on the chickens by sucking their blood whilst they are roosting at night, or in the case of a broody, the whole time she is on the nest.

It is not uncommon for broody hen's nests to become overrun with mites when they are brooding. They provide a 24/7 banqueting opportunity for the mites. She has done incredibly well to stick to her eggs until they hatched despite the infestation. I've seen broody hens abandon nests with just a few days to do because they were crawling with mires and being eaten alive. The chances are, the blood spots you saw were where the mites had been sucking the chicks' blood or perhaps been pecked or scratched at due to the irritation. It is possible that the chicks died because they had crush injuries due to the broody being irritated by the mites instead of focussing on her chicks. I now always dust my broody hens' nests with DE prior to setting them and a couple of times during the incubation period to keep mites to a minimum, since I had that incident I mentioned where my broody abandoned her nest and I was horrified to see the eggs in it crawling with mites.
The gaping you describe the chicks doing is most likely due to respiratory system injury

I think it is unlikely to be coccidiosis because broody reared chicks are much more resistant to it and also some of them died before they had even eaten anything. I think the mites are the cause of your problems and have possibly resulted in accidental crushing of the chicks by the broody.

To treat the coop, you can try using the DE until you get something stronger. Get a crate or large cardboard box and reunite the broody and chick asap. If the broody has had a chance to dust bath and rid herself of most of them, she should be better able to care for the chick. As regards treating the coop, I use a soft dustpan brush to dip into the DE and then dust it into all the nooks and crannies of the coop but particularly around the roost and nest box areas. Obviously wear a mask and remove all bedding material and sweep it out thoroughly before you start. I would keep the broody and chick in the cardboard box in a garage or shed or even spare room overnight to let things settle. It takes a few days to take effect because it kills by dehydrating the mites. I would definitely invest in some permethrin spray for the future though as this will almost certainly be a recurring problem in the coop. You will probably need to retreat the coop at weekly intervals for a few weeks before you bottom the problem. Anywhere that there is a gap in the coop is where the mites will live and breed and then they crawl out to feed on the chickens by sucking their blood whilst they are roosting at night, or in the case of a broody, the whole time she is on the nest.

Chicks being raised by a broody are more likely to have coccidiosis. I had three broodies last year with dying chicks. Vet did decals and it was in fact coccidiosis. Vet said it's a lot of stress on a hen that is sitting cause they cease eating and drinking for the most part. My hens sometimes pooped in the nest and chicks pick at the hay. When I hand raise myself, no deaths. I dont even feed medicated feed and have no issues when raised inside.

Don't actually use DE at all...Get a Dusting powder. Totally clean Coop and sprinkle on Roosts under bedding along all edges...Treat all Birds. Are you sure Momma is even infested?...

Ok, I’ll wait til 10am to call my local feed shop and see if they have a dusting powder.. fingers crossed! I’m not sure Mama is infested... I’m praying she’s not!!

Ok, I’ll wait til 10am to call my local feed shop and see if they have a dusting powder.. fingers crossed! I’m not sure Mama is infested... I’m praying she’s not!!

If babies have bugs, so does mama. Treat for Coccidiosis as it won't hurt them even if they don't have it, and definately treat for bugs but if you do that, I wouldn't put baby back with mom. Too little to be around those chemicals. Mom and coop definately need to be treated.

I just moved mama into the Cat kennel I have... poor girl was terrified and the whole ordeal definitely put her under a great deal of stress. I'm hoping she's even in the right state to be introduced to her chick. I'm going to wait a moment and we'll see.

I just moved mama into the Cat kennel I have... poor girl was terrified and the whole ordeal definitely put her under a great deal of stress. I'm hoping she's even in the right state to be introduced to her chick. I'm going to wait a moment and we'll see.
Hmmm..She needs to be in the Coop or larger area...Lock out all other Birds. Place Baby down and watch..The crate won't work this late in the game...

Back
Top Bottom