questions about first egg?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
yesterday i noticed my silkie scratching around in a hay bale in the coop and then today after i let her out she went back into the coop a few times. then she dug a little nest in the hay and sat their for about 30 min and then left. now i see her going back into the coop to her nest but she still hasn't laid a egg? i think she is anywhere from 5-9 months (i dont know the age i got her at) and she has neer laid. so do you think she will lay her first egg today or will it take a few day? and ive read that when hens begin to lay the egg just falls right out of them but is it normal for them to make a nest? i put a ceramic egg in her nest and do you think this will show her to lay?
thanx
smile.png

Hello,
I have 3 silkie cross hens. They started laying a week ago. If you go up to one and try to stroke it and it sits down and lifts its wings a little, then it will be soon when she starts to lay. I heard this advise from some one on a site like this one ages ago. So I always tryed to stoke my chickens but they used to run really fast. But not now.
It sounds like your hen is practising for when she does lay, just getting ready.

Wont be long now
fl.gif
good luck

A couple of my chickens just started laying. About a week before, I noticed little nests in the shavings and in the nest box. At the same time, they also started squatting down when I went to pet them, or even just walked near them. They have both laid all their eggs in the nest boxes I have, so I'm not sure about the eggs just popping out - mine seem to have good control over where they lay.

It sounds like your silkie will start laying within a week!

Back
Top Bottom