Questions about the Seattle chicken laws

The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
I think I’ve posted something like this before But here’s my question I live in Seattle where the poultry laws are pretty clear on only 8 chicken per however many square feet does anyone have any ideas on how you could get a permit for more or how to not necessarily change the laws but make it possible to get more

I would like to add that where I live knowone follows the rules much there’s two people up the street from me who both have multiple roosters and one of them must have at least 20 chickens he free ranges

The brief answer is that you would go before your municipalities' (City/County, etc) zoning board (or HOA/POA, if you happen to be trapped in one) and seek an exemption. The process differs somewhat for each entity - you would have to look into the bylaws to make a determination for how to do so.

Success rates in seeking exemptions are, frankly, quite low.

Below in section C-1 of Seattle ordinance you are allowed one extra poultry for every 1000 square feet of land over 10,000 sqft. This answers your question as to how you would have more than 8 chickens (no roosters). You can always go ahead and ignore the ordinance but be prepared to quickly come into compliance when caught.

C. Domestic Fowl. Up to eight domestic fowl may be kept on any lot in addition to the small animals permitted in subsection 23.42.052.A.

1. On lots greater than 10,000 square feet that include either a community garden or an urban farm, one additional fowl is permitted for every 1,000 square feet of lot area over 10,000 square feet in community garden or urban farm use.

2. Roosters are not permitted.

3. Structures housing domestic fowl must be located at least 10 feet away from any structure that includes a dwelling unit on an adjacent lot.

Hi! Looks like I'll be moving to Seattle in the next couple of months. I have 4 hens. It looks like they are allowable in Seattle. But are there any other restrictions enforced by neighborhoods or areas? I'm not talking about HOA's...I understand they have their own bylaws. I'm talking about city agency restrictions. Or if you are in Seattle, it's one set of regulation no matter where?

Hi! Looks like I'll be moving to Seattle in the next couple of months. I have 4 hens. It looks like they are allowable in Seattle. But are there any other restrictions enforced by neighborhoods or areas? I'm not talking about HOA's...I understand they have their own bylaws. I'm talking about city agency restrictions. Or if you are in Seattle, it's one set of regulation no matter where?
The general rules are no more the 8 poultry of any kind and no roosters
The rules about coops are basically that they must be 10 feet from your house and your neighbors lot.

Rules can also depend on where live if you live somewhere where you share a yard or something then rules are probably different.
What I have also discovered is that while rules are the same they are enforced differently based on the neighborhood for example if you live in a nice or rich neighborhood etc (especially if it’s more in the city proper) you will not want to press the rules cause neighbors will likely complain but if you live in an area that is not as nice pourer etc laws won’t normally be enforced because people are less likely to complain.
I for example live in a pour neighborhood and have 14 birds and no one’s ever complained but I would never have pressed the rules like this when I lived in Columbia city
I also have a neighbor who while I’ve never seen his flock I’d guess he has 1 maybe 2 roosters I have another neighbor who free ranges a flock of 20+ ducks and chickens along with a half dozen roosters.

Here’s the link for the code:
https://www.seattle.gov/sdci/codes/common-code-questions/animal-codes

Hope this helps :)

The general rules are no more the 8 poultry of any kind and no roosters
The rules about coops are basically that they must be 10 feet from your house and your neighbors lot.

Rules can also depend on where live if you live somewhere where you share a yard or something then rules are probably different.
What I have also discovered is that while rules are the same they are enforced differently based on the neighborhood for example if you live in a nice or rich neighborhood etc (especially if it’s more in the city proper) you will not want to press the rules cause neighbors will likely complain but if you live in an area that is not as nice pourer etc laws won’t normally be enforced because people are less likely to complain.
I for example live in a pour neighborhood and have 14 birds and no one’s ever complained but I would never have pressed the rules like this when I lived in Columbia city
I also have a neighbor who while I’ve never seen his flock I’d guess he has 1 maybe 2 roosters I have another neighbor who free ranges a flock of 20+ ducks and chickens along with a half dozen roosters.

Here’s the link for the code:
https://www.seattle.gov/sdci/codes/common-code-questions/animal-codes

Hope this helps :)
Thank you for all this info and the link. Very great insight!

Can I ask a few other questions of you?

Was wondering what sort of special precautions I need to take into account with my set up since it's so wet and rainy there? I assume a fully covered run? How about drainage or foundations considerations? Type of flooring?

Also what sort of predators is common up there?
I'm in Los Angeles so for us it's hawks and coyotes. So I know how to guar against those. Not sure what's lurking up there!

Thank you for all this info and the link. Very great insight!

Can I ask a few other questions of you?

Was wondering what sort of special precautions I need to take into account with my set up since it's so wet and rainy there? I assume a fully covered run? How about drainage or foundations considerations? Type of flooring?

I'm in Los Angeles so for us it's hawks and coyotes. So I know how to guar against those. Not sure what's lurking up there!
Sure I don’t mind answering questions.

Roofing

I would definitely use full roofing on both coop and run. currently, my run has a plastic roof but in the past, I’ve used wood both work fine although wood will eventually rot due to water damage

I haven’t in the past had to use drainage but my runs have also been in protective spots as for flooring it depends in my first run and coop set up the run was dirt but my current run is built on cement I don’t remember ever having a problem with water in my first although I put down a layer of straw on top of it so there was some barrier I have also heard of people using wood and while I’m sure this works for a while but because of water it will eventually rot from what I’ve seen dirt works fine in the run as long as the setup is somewhere sheltered.

Predators

The worst predators by far are raccoons and rats.
I’ve also heard of problems with coyotes in some Neighborhoods stray dogs can also be a problem.
Hawks and eagles are definitely the worst aerial predators.

My way of keeping predators at bay so far has been just having a sturdy coop and full locks cause raccoons can open anything. also if you do decide to have your run right on the ground putting down rat wire either under wood flooring or burying it a foot deep under the walls of the run will usually keep them out as long as there are no others holes to get through
as for birds of prey, I just monitor them when they're free-ranging in my yard

Hope this helps would love to answer more questions if you have them

Below I’ve attached some pictures of my current setup the first picture is of my my locks the second is of the double layer rat wire which help to keep out raccoons and dogs and the third picture shows some of the plastic roof along with a full vew of my run

(Note in the pictures I have combination locks on my coop this is not actually necessary to keep out raccoons)

Attachments

• 626147E9-386D-425B-AFFC-A971CD6FECC3.jpeg
    626147E9-386D-425B-AFFC-A971CD6FECC3.jpeg
    590.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 387C1575-F512-4C8F-8A7C-BF0489B33DC5.jpeg
    387C1575-F512-4C8F-8A7C-BF0489B33DC5.jpeg
    915 KB · Views: 11
  • A4EE71FD-C4D0-4DC4-BA6E-B81494754EDF.jpeg
    A4EE71FD-C4D0-4DC4-BA6E-B81494754EDF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
That depends. A roofed run would be recommended however with the amount of rain we can get, your run floor can still get saturated from ground water. Most important thing is the drainage, the water has to have somewhere to drain to.

The most recommended run litter is some form of deep litter, for drainage and mud control, and to take advantage of the natural abundance of wood/tree products around.
Birds of prey, raccoons, coyotes, stray dogs would probably be the most common predators in the urban areas.

Sure I don’t mind answering questions.

Roofing

I would definitely use full roofing on both coop and run. currently, my run has a plastic roof but in the past, I’ve used wood both work fine although wood will eventually rot due to water damage

I haven’t in the past had to use drainage but my runs have also been in protective spots as for flooring it depends in my first run and coop set up the run was dirt but my current run is built on cement I don’t remember ever having a problem with water in my first although I put down a layer of straw on top of it so there was some barrier I have also heard of people using wood and while I’m sure this works for a while but because of water it will eventually rot from what I’ve seen dirt works fine in the run as long as the setup is somewhere sheltered.

Predators

The worst predators by far are raccoons and rats.
I’ve also heard of problems with coyotes in some Neighborhoods stray dogs can also be a problem.
Hawks and eagles are definitely the worst aerial predators.

My way of keeping predators at bay so far has been just having a sturdy coop and full locks cause raccoons can open anything. also if you do decide to have your run right on the ground putting down rat wire either under wood flooring or burying it a foot deep under the walls of the run will usually keep them out as long as there are no others holes to get through
as for birds of prey, I just monitor them when they're free-ranging in my yard

Hope this helps would love to answer more questions if you have them

Below I’ve attached some pictures of my current setup the first picture is of my my locks the second is of the double layer rat wire which help to keep out raccoons and dogs and the third picture shows some of the plastic roof along with a full vew of my run

(Note in the pictures I have combination locks on my coop this is not actually necessary to keep out raccoons)
You're so kind for taking time and providing such a detailed answer! 🙏

My 4 girls are my babies and I already worry about the 18 hour drive. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything set up properly on the other end for them!

Do you think our current set up would work? The coop is definitely super secure. It's an Omlet Eglu Cube. And then I have a large Omlet Walk In run. It's got strong wires and an anti-tunnel skirt (although I did not need to install the skirt here). The door locks are also designed to keep predators out.
My big question is the cover. The run is just wire but I have a large tarp covering the entire run since we had a heavy rain storm ONCE here few months ago. Would this be sufficient? It doesn't extend outwards beyond the run so water does come on on the side and puddle on the ground along the 'wall'. Will I need something more robust like what you have built over our run separately?

Also I have bird netting (it's black and hard to see) over the wire only to keep small wild birds out so they don't come in eating the girl's food and dropping waste.

And the flooring is dirt with mulch on top.

Would love your opinion what need to do differently there!

Attachments

• 20220312_160910.jpg
    20220312_160910.jpg
    935.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220312_160935.jpg
    20220312_160935.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220312_160948.jpg
    20220312_160948.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom