Questions

Lolaish

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2022
Question: Im ready to move them from brooder into guinea pig cage which 14in x 25in. They are week old now only four quail.
My question is how do you clean out cage if they are flipping out?
Do I remove them every time or just work around them?
Planning to do the bedding method any tips of something add for smell?
~ Thank you in advance.

Question: Im ready to move them from brooder into guinea pig cage which 14in x 25in. They are week old now only four quail.
My question is how do you clean out cage if they are flipping out?
Do I remove them every time or just work around them?
Planning to do the bedding method any tips of something add for smell?
~ Thank you in advance.
What width are the bars? I find rabbit n guinea cages bars too wide for quail chicks ... they just pop straight out 😂😂

I have a soft small animal carrier I put mine in to clean out ... u could try n use the clean round them method but I found it makes them more scared of my hands. xx

What width are the bars? I find rabbit n guinea cages bars too wide for quail chicks ... they just pop straight out 😂😂

I have a soft small animal carrier I put mine in to clean out ... u could try n use the clean round them method but I found it makes them more scared of my hands. xx
Yeah I think Ill try that next time. Spent like 15 minutes chasing four quail with one hand. LOL

😂😂😂😂😂 oh yes the great escape with top opening cages ... pop pop pop n off they go!! 😂😂 they can get some surprising height on em xx
Well their in the guinea pig cage now, thinking might need something easier for cleaning. I really don't want to spend so much time chasing quail.... perhaps they're like two years old. But I cant help but love them.

You may want to consider something a little larger as well. That's less than 3 square feet for four birds, and that's assuming that you're not giving them hiding places, a dirt bath, or a feeder in the cage.

The usual standard is at least one square foot per bird, subtracting space taken up by the things t mentioned above.

You may want to consider something a little larger as well. That's less than 3 square feet for four birds, and that's assuming that you're not giving them hiding places, a dirt bath, or a feeder in the cage.

The usual standard is at least one square foot per bird, subtracting space taken up by the things t mentioned above.
Agree, I didn't realize how small would be till I had them in there and set up. Time to start shopping :( any suggestions?

Agree, I didn't realize how small would be till I had them in there and set up. Time to start shopping :( any suggestions?
Furplast ferrets are good hight wise. a 2 tiered cage of some kind if u can teach them to use ramps ... or a large indoor hutch.
I have a 3 tier ferret cage for my CPQs... adds up at about 18 square foot of ground space xx

I made some coops from 3x4' ish dog crates, totally sheathed in half inch hardware cloth. A third of the floor is a tub I put sand in for a place to get off the wire and well, they love sand. The pan from the crate goes under the whole thing to catch droppings, spilt food and water, and flung sand. (A lot of sand gets kicked out where the low entrance is cut into the tub.)
Not sure how suitable this is for your situation, but they were a cheap option when lumber prices got stupid and work just fine in the barn. I raise them on cinder blocks and 2x4's/2x2’s because I’m lazy and it’s a barn. You could adapt.

Attachments

• 258A6DEB-801C-4BA0-8775-09A1C9549CE0.jpeg
    258A6DEB-801C-4BA0-8775-09A1C9549CE0.jpeg
    728.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 51FD8ABE-196A-4790-8E6C-43D151371E15.jpeg
    51FD8ABE-196A-4790-8E6C-43D151371E15.jpeg
    901.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom