Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
not me but sounds like it worked!:clap great to know.

and that baby!:love

Thanks.
And darnit. It'll come to me eventually. Probably in the middle of the night! Lol

:frow It was not me that had mentioned the medical tape...I never have the best of luck with cracked eggs...lol. That's fantastic that it worked for you!!!! Right on!! :yesss: Eleven days with a crack...impressive! :clap

That's a cutie chick! :love :woot

Thanks!! Chick pile on my lap right now lol! All bantam cochins, getting some pretty shades of splash and blue in this set.
WP_20170816_21_37_55_Pro_LI.jpg

@WVduckchick thats fantastic! Good job!

Ok pics of the chicks from today. Not great ones, but now there are so many fewer of them it's harder to catch them together! Redid the roosts today in the henhouse. Now they might stop roosting on top of each other vying for the "best" spots.

Nice! :love What breed is that first one??

Love the log roosts too!

First one is an EE. Most of mine look similar. I'll try getting pics of the pretty red EE roo. There's also two pullets with yellow heads that are quite pretty. Kind of sorry already I won't have a Cuckoo Maran now. I'll get over it though. Thinking of what I'll order next!

Oh I am already thinking of next Spring and worrying about how I will introduce a few new ones to my girls. :love

@orrpeople @Jessimom or anyone remember from one of the HALs earlier this year, who mentioned the paper medical tape for a cracked egg? @biophiliac or @Wickedchicken6 was it one of you?

I feel totally horrible for not remembering, but anyway, i taped an egg that 2 broodies had broken 11 days ago and put it in the incubator. It hatched today!! I want to thank the person that first mentioned that stuff to me!!! beautiful little splash bantam cochin.
View attachment 1112709

took this after i taped it, before i stuck it in the bator.
View attachment 1112710
I used athletic tape to save not one, but two (doh!) eggs I had dropped while candling.
20161228_183550.jpg

So glad you were able to save your little!! ::

So, a couple of days ago, right after I let the big group of layers out of the barn, I noticed a little ball of feathers in the middle of the yard. "Ugh," I thought to myself, "something got one of my birds!" I walked over to investigate and there, barely moving, was a little dove. We have a pair that have been nesting in one of our trees - about 30 or more feet off the ground on the other side of the property, so I had no idea how it got where it was. So, I picked it up and brought it in the house. (I know, there's a boat load of ethics that go with this decision...) DD did a bunch of research and we have been feeding and caring for this cute little thing ever since. It has totally won all of our hearts with its little chirping, wing flapping excitement when you get ready to feed it. And don't worry, we are practicing tight biosecurity so as not to transfer anything from it to the chickens. And, WV, I Nutri Drenched it too! In this pic, it just finished oatmeal, which it managed to get all over its face !
IMG_20170816_195729_kindlephoto-37057823.jpg

Oh I am already thinking of next Spring and worrying about how I will introduce a few new ones to my girls. :love
I remember after my first year, I had a huge list of birds I wanted to get! lol! I don't think I ended up with any of the listed birds, but still managed to increase my flock by ... a lot!
I use the "coop inside the run" method for introducing new birds - it just takes a little chicken wire, a corner of the run and someplace for the littles to sleep. It was so much easier than I thought it would be - now they're all ranging together (they still get chased and reminded of their low rung on the flock pecking order) and I still leave the little chicken wire coop in a coop door open so they can run in and hide, or return and sleep there. That may have been way more than you wanted to know, I was just feeling quite loquacious this evening! :)

I remember after my first year, I had a huge list of birds I wanted to get! lol! I don't think I ended up with any of the listed birds, but still managed to increase my flock by ... a lot!
I use the "coop inside the run" method for introducing new birds - it just takes a little chicken wire, a corner of the run and someplace for the littles to sleep. It was so much easier than I thought it would be - now they're all ranging together (they still get chased and reminded of their low rung on the flock pecking order) and I still leave the little chicken wire coop in a coop door open so they can run in and hide, or return and sleep there. That may have been way more than you wanted to know, I was just feeling quite loquacious this evening! :)

Thank you! :love

Back
Top Bottom