Raising Chicks

No and no.
I have
1 Red sex link
2 Rhode Island Reds
3 Easter Eggers
2 Polish Bantums.
8 total. But, that is just what I ended up with.
You just need same size.
My two Polish had to be separated from them at 8 weeks.
So even numbers are better? I'll take some exact measurements or the areas I could work with tomorrow.

Thats a good idea to try to convince your parents.
When I first started to raise chickens, I wanted them to learn their place in their coop and learn to lay their eggs in the nesting boxes. I wanted to spend close proximity time with them after they went outside to their coop. I wanted to be able to get to know their individual personalities, watch them interact and how they ate together and all that other stuff.
So, I kept them in an enclosed run area.
Then after they began to lay in the nesting boxes, I started letting them out to free range after everyone had laid their egg.
Then, they would go back to the coop to roost at dusk.
Now, today, I took down their run.
Because I will be moving the coop and then Ill put up a new run for them to learn their new area where the coop will be.
Then, I begin to let them free range again just like before.
Now, with that being said, you must understand that Free Ranging comes with the potential of inevitable risks.
Such as an increase in preditor vulnerability.so, you much prepare your heart for an attack. Dog, cat, hawk, owl ect.
I lock my girls up with a preditor proof lock and have hardware cloth wire on the windows but, I do not have electric wire either to zap night time preditors.

Thats a good idea to try to convince your parents.
When I first started to raise chickens, I wanted them to learn their place in their coop and learn to lay their eggs in the nesting boxes. I wanted to spend close proximity time with them after they went outside to their coop. I wanted to be able to get to know their individual personalities, watch them interact and how they ate together and all that other stuff.
So, I kept them in an enclosed run area.
Then after they began to lay in the nesting boxes, I started letting them out to free range after everyone had laid their egg.
Then, they would go back to the coop to roost at dusk.
Now, today, I took down their run.
Because I will be moving the coop and then Ill put up a new run for them to learn their new area where the coop will be.
Then, I begin to let them free range again just like before.
Now, with that being said, you must understand that Free Ranging comes with the potential of inevitable risks.
Such as an increase in preditor vulnerability.so, you much prepare your heart for an attack. Dog, cat, hawk, owl ect.
I lock my girls up with a preditor proof lock and have hardware cloth wire on the windows but, I do not have electric wire either to zap night time preditors.
I am just going to free range them for 30 mins each day. What time of the day do they lay?

Also, with free ranging they will tear up the gardens, flowers, veggies ect looking for bugs. Plus the dig up your yard. They will come onto your porch if its not enclosed. So, just know that.
I found one of mine on my lawn chair and she pooped on it.

Back
Top Bottom