Raising Turkeys with other fowl

HannahJoy

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Through my research, I've found out that one should not raise turkeys and chickens together due to the chance of turkeys getting diseases from chickens. I met a local couple who didn't have any problems with raising turkeys with chickens. Has anyone else successfully raised them together. And, is there a risk of raising Ducks with Turkeys?

Confused in Oklahoma!
hmm.png

Thanks for any advise you can offer!

Hannah Joy

Through my research, I've found out that one should not raise turkeys and chickens together due to the chance of turkeys getting diseases from chickens. I met a local couple who didn't have any problems with raising turkeys with chickens. Has anyone else successfully raised them together. And, is there a risk of raising Ducks with Turkeys?

Confused in Oklahoma!
hmm.png

Thanks for any advise you can offer!

Hannah Joy

Hello, well I have Chickens, turkeys, ducks and two horses. I keep everyone in their own quarters. The turkeys get jealous of the chickens...their heads turn really red and then they stalk them and try to peck. I push them away and they lean against me to try to continue to go after them?! Crazy birds! The ducks (muscovys) kind of free range, They have a little duck hut. They spend a lot of time at the creek. I have one setting on 9 or10 eggs in her hut right now!! The chickens have a 9x15 house with a 12x24 roof covered run. They get to free range when I am home. I don't house them together because of the different needs. Turkeys get a higher protein feed ( and they hate my chickens) They ducks tend to make a wet mess of everything,and thats not good as disease thrives in damp conditions. I suppose that if you raised the poults and pullets together from the start they would get along better. I hear about blackhead but it seems only to be in certain areas. Like out east. I think that turkeys may be a little to aggressive for ducks, and ducks too wet for turkeys. Maybe if they had a huge area so they could escape one another. If the water was outside the hen house and moved around to prevent mud holes. This is what I have for the chickens water, the wire base keeps any moisture contained under it. Then it can dry out. The ducks have a shallow pan they drink and bathe in. The turkeys have a 5 gal plastic waterer. I guess how you keep them is a personal preference, keeping things clean, dry and dust free is really the most important. I hope this has helped you. Good luck with your adventure!!

I have chickens and turkeys together without issue. I let the turkeys free range during the day, and they roost with the chickens at nite. No issues at all. Hope this helps.

We run our turkeys and chickens together. We keep a 5 gallon water with a drinker cup in there pen. We have several different breeds of chickens so we do rotated supervised free ranging. They seem to do awesome together and have not had any problems. This is our first year with turkeys and all the poults have been pre sold but they hatch with the chicks and stay in the brooder with the chicks until they go to their new homes!!

My blackhead (histomoniasis) problems are better now that all of my peafowl and turkeys are at least one year old, but getting to this point was not easy.

-Kathy

Should I wait until my turkeys are one year old, before integrating them into my chicken flock?
frow.gif
I've also purchased ducklings this year along with pullets, I was hoping to introduce them to the flock with this small clutch. All input will be greatly appreciated.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom