RANT!!! dead Lav silkie roo!! rant rant!!!

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Ok I got home 20 minutes ago-I noticed I forgot to let out birds in a coop-to free reange-Its a 8 x 8 coop with 6 nesting boxes 3 perches and a ladder-full of food and water. All in all 12 chickens-2 lavender roos and 10 girls-3 bantams and 7 standards. My first thought-ooh are they going to be mad at me-so My youngest DD ( 10) jumped out in the normal spot near the coops and opened the door to let them free range-she screamed and started crying-I knew something was wrong before I had stopped the car-gut feeling? anyway I look and there is my beautiful Lav silkie roo-the sweet one dead-all his head feathers pulled out-he had just molted and wad growing a great top notch. His comb was ripped apart too-I knew who did it! SOB...I picked up "ernie" he was cold but still bleeding-DD sobbing-she took him out of my arms cuddling him soaking him with her tears. I hugged her and told her how sorry I was-she looked at the guilty party and said mom get rid of him. Just 2 days before this jerk wad attacked my goegeous white silkie roo and almost killed seriously..He was kenneled for 2 days and is better. I scooped up the guilty bird and put him in a kennel alone! He was my other Lav silkie roo!!!! My whole winter breeding prgram is shot-shot I tell yah! I dont trust him with girls! DO I leave him in his kennel and only use him for breeding or do I sell him-kick him in his can? Ive had them for 6-7 months-got them when they were 7 weeks old and they have always gotten along always!! I have 40+ hens and only 3 adult roos!!! Why would he do that? My sweet "ernie' has plenty of spots to climb on/fly on/run but it looks like he just took it and died. Should I even attempt to mate this jerk? Or should I just give up on my huge winter breeding project and start with something else. I purposelt hatched, bought, begged for black birds to mate with him-I have so many different types of black hens to mate with him and If I ax him what now! Im so mad-My DD brought "Ernie" up to the house in her arms and got a box to put him in-how sad sad sad. Im fuming-
he.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
I do have eggs from him that are fertile-he was mated with a BO hen and she is sweet-should I incubate them and ax him!!! Im sorry Im so bleah bleah bleah but I worked really hard for 6 months collecting and culling etc...for this!!!

I am so sorry!
hugs.gif

You may be sorry to lose your breeding project, but you will be even sorrier if he hurts one of your hens.

AI your hens with him? Your buff orpington crosses wouldn't do your breeding program any good at all. But you could incubate them just to have one of the babies for your own pleasure.

Has he ever showed aggression towards your hens?

Sooo sorry for your sweet little daughter!!
hugs.gif
You might better replace him... if he's stayed after one long enough to kill him, I'm afraid he'll do it again girls! I can feel for you... I know what it's like to invest that kind of time into a breeding project and some fool animal turn into a pickle in the punch bowl!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you-I know the BO cross is just a funky cross-that was going to be for my amusement nothing special :)

Quote:
Two roosters in a pen together, it's a natural territorial tendency. Sometimes you get lucky and the combination isn't lethal.

Oh, my ADD got ahead of me and I missed it was a roo that was killed. Still sad that boys can't get along. I had three roosters for years, with no hens and they never did fight. Guess I know why.
I always feel sad for the male Betta's, because they are so beautiful, but such jerks they have to live their live almost alone or with other fish that are woose's.

Back
Top Bottom