Rash on duck?

DucksinOR

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Over the past week, we have found patches of missing feathers on our Pekin hen. The weird part is that not only are the feathers missing, but the pin feathers growing in are broken off and bloody, and the skin is red and inflamed. We have been applying Nu-Stock to it and that seems to help, but it still looks irritated. The spot on the right side of her neck (which is about three inches long and an inch wide) is the biggest by far, and now it is starting to spread in a 3/4 inch line down her back. The spot on the left side of her neck is currently about the size of two quarters. Any ideas what it could be?

Here are some pictures of it.

This is the newest spot on her back

This is the spot on the right side of her neck

this is the spot on the left side of her neck that has been treated with Nu-Stock

It does not seem to hurt her at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The pictures make it look better than it really does.

I totally forgot about Epsom salts! I am very familiar with Epsom salts and their laxative properties...

I just was out in the yard and checked her (Priscilla), the spots are definitely looking better.

Thank you for your help!

Just for fun, here is a picture of Priscilla. :)

P.S. Miss Lydia, Cool link in your signature. :)
Priscilla is lovey, and you have green grass too, lol keep us updated on how she is doing and glad to hear she is looking better.

That link is just to awesome not to share, glad you liked it.

I looked through her feathers and did not see anything. (I know what to look for) None of our other ducks have ever had anything like this.
hmm.png

As far as I know she has not been. We do have one duck who likes to eat white feathers, but when she didi this to our other white duck, there was just a patch without feathers, not the blood.

As far as I know she has not been. We do have one duck who likes to eat white feathers, but when she didi this to our other white duck, there was just a patch without feathers, not the blood.

Is the NU Stock helping? and just to be on the safe side in case it is one of the others nibbling, I'd get some Blue Kote and spray on these areas,each time you find a new area spray it, it will cover up the places and help the healing and if it is another duck these places will be disguised and the duck doing the nibbling will start a new place, You might try hanging a whole head of cabbage in with them to help pass the time during these boring days of winter or Bunches of collards/ Romaine lettuce. I give my flock things like this hung up and they love to nibble on them. Helps pass the time when there isn't much to forage. In other words if it's another duck, boredom could be the problem, AND since the pin feathers coming in are broken off makes me think someone is nibbling.

Last edited:
Yes, the Nu-Stock is helping, but it still looks irritated. We had thought about spraying Blu-Kote on, but decided not to because she is a white duck and we were not sure if the purple color would make it more interesting looking. Being bored is not a problem for them, they have free range of our back yard (which is quite sizable). There is a huge pile of leaves that they enjoy nosing through.

Yes, the Nu-Stock is helping, but it still looks irritated. We had thought about spraying Blu-Kote on, but decided not to because she is a white duck and we were not sure if the purple color would make it more interesting looking. Being bored is not a problem for them, they have free range of our back yard (which is quite sizable). There is a huge pile of leaves that they enjoy nosing through.

Actually BK is used to disguise wounds so they won't be messed with by other flock members especially chickens who are know to eat their own. Mine have free range over a very large fenced in area but I still hang things out for them, I guess I just feel with everything dead because of winter they need some green in their diet. I use Nu stock also but notice it washes off pretty easy if they have access to water where the Blue Kote does stay a while longer. Maybe try putting the Nu Stock on a bit thicker it really doesn't taste good, and maybe that would discourage a picker if you have one, can't imagine what else it could be if you have ruled out parasites.

I know that is what Blu Kote is for, but it still seems weird to use it on a white bird to hide a wound. Wouldn't a big PURPLE spot on a white bird be more noticeable? The Nu-Stock we are using is mixed with coconut oil - aka - thick and goopy. It stays on her for at least 2 or 3 days. I know they are getting plenty of greens in their diet. (Just ask the grass in our back yard) :) Could it be fungal?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom