Re-homing rooster

Turanisaurus

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2018
hey all! We have 8 chickens and one rooster. I’ll admit, i don’t know what his breed is but he’s humongous and actually quite beautiful! However, he is an a**hole. I mean...he said brutal. I get it, trying to protect his girls. But a big fun part about having chickens for me is so we can go in the coop area and so my kids especially can go in there and help. Because of him, they can’t go in. I’m rambling...I’m wondering if i re-home him, will the chickens notice/be affected negatively in any way?

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is just personal preference. If you do't want fertile eggs you don't need him. The flock does not need him. There may be a couple of days of resetting the pecking order, you might not even notice it. Laying may or may not be a little disrupted for a few days.

One hen will probably take over some of his flock dominance chores. That may be obvious or you might not even notice it. Each individual chicken has a different personality, each flock has their own unique flock dynamics. You don't get guarantees with living animals but we can tell you what to expect most of the time.. The dominant hen will still lay eggs. They will all lay with or without a rooster present.

To be as clear as I can. There may or may not be some flock disruptions for a very few days but they will quickly get over it. There is no reason to keep a human aggressive rooster in your situation, not with kids around. Unless you want fertile eggs you do not need one at all.

IF you send him to a new home, do disclose he is not a good rooster as in aggressive. I would have diner! Then IF you want chicks find another, good roosters come up all the time here and on CL. I have trouble even giving away good roosters, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom