Recommended Bird(s) for 8 Year Old

If you want friendly, I suggest that you get a single parakeet. A single will be much more likely to bond to his human while 2 or more birds bond to each other.(IMO, males are friendlier) Get the bird while he is young. If the bird has the typical striped patterning on his head, you can judge age by how far down towards his cere (fleshy place where the nares are) the stripes go. The less stripes, the older the bird. One concern is your cage. It may be designed for larger birds, in that case the bar spacing may not be appropriate for a parakeet. BTW, my understanding is that these birds are native to Australia, and the name Budgeriar means tasty meal, or some such!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar

I see I am a little late to this party, just wondering if you got a 'keet yet? They are a perfect starter parrot. They are real parrots, and very trainable! Spend lots of time with them and talk to them, they can learn words and tricks. They are excellent flyers, though, do not think that a clipped wing will ground them. I am in the camp of letting young birds fly, it is good for their health and attitude to have this exercise. In the room without cats & dogs, of course! While your bird is young is the best time to harness train, which makes the best pet, able to go with you outside safely. Dylan is still not sure about the benefit of the harness! lol She was much older when I got her and a little set in her ways!

I see I am a little late to this party, just wondering if you got a 'keet yet? They are a perfect starter parrot. They are real parrots, and very trainable! Spend lots of time with them and talk to them, they can learn words and tricks. They are excellent flyers, though, do not think that a clipped wing will ground them. I am in the camp of letting young birds fly, it is good for their health and attitude to have this exercise. In the room without cats & dogs, of course! While your bird is young is the best time to harness train, which makes the best pet, able to go with you outside safely. Dylan is still not sure about the benefit of the harness! lol She was much older when I got her and a little set in her ways!

It didn't even cross my mind to ask my indoor bird friend!! Sorry Parront!

We have not gotten the bird(s) as of yet. There are still a few conditions the boy hasn't met yet, for us to get him the bird(s). We are still doing research, and he is reading about how to take care of them. Plus, we weren't happy with the bird selection at PetSmart the time we went to look. They seemed not have any younger BLUE keets.

It didn't even cross my mind to ask my indoor bird friend!! Sorry Parront!

We have not gotten the bird(s) as of yet. There are still a few conditions the boy hasn't met yet, for us to get him the bird(s). We are still doing research, and he is reading about how to take care of them. Plus, we weren't happy with the bird selection at PetSmart the time we went to look. They seemed not have any younger BLUE keets.
If you tell the Petsmart guy, they might get you one in the next order. It is not the season for chicks right now, though. Spring, just like other chicks! Watching the local craig's list is not a bad idea, but you want to SEE the place with the chicks. Some re-sell from "bird mills" just like puppies. You want to see the parents, how healthy, how clean . . . you know the drill!

If you tell the Petsmart guy, they might get you one in the next order. It is not the season for chicks right now, though. Spring, just like other chicks! Watching the local craig's list is not a bad idea, but you want to SEE the place with the chicks. Some re-sell from "bird mills" just like puppies. You want to see the parents, how healthy, how clean . . . you know the drill!

OK. I think we'll hold off until spring then. The cage is cleaned up and we've been getting toys for it.

OK. I think we'll hold off until spring then. The cage is cleaned up and we've been getting toys for it.
Little 'keets have chicks really easy. Worse than 'tiels, even! A nice thing for kids to learn to breed, grow up fast, fun and friendly. They have so many great colors. There were breeders in the Ca desert, I am sure here in AZ too. Not too good to ship, though, I am afraid. They will get too cold outdoors where you live, I think.

You also want to meet "your" bird. They seem 'the same' but when you watch them, they are different. Some will talk to you in the shop, some will ignore you. You'll know the one you want, when you meet him.
Has your son been thinking of names?

You also want to meet "your" bird. They seem 'the same' but when you watch them, they are different. Some will talk to you in the shop, some will ignore you. You'll know the one you want, when you meet him.
People say, "The bird choses you." In a lot of ways, this is true. Sit still. Wait. A young parakeet will fly over to check you out. Think seriously about that bird!!
Edit to Add: Even if it is not the color you think you want!

No names yet. We prefer to get around our animals for a bit before we decide what their names are.

Back
Top Bottom