recovering from coon attack

jpearsall1482

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 22, 2007
It was early Saturday morning that my hen was attacked. Her recovery has been slow, but I think mostly good...but I still have some questions. The first few days I had fed her from a spoon, forcing yogurt and sugar water into her bill. She would swallow but not take more unless I forced her. On Monday, I soaked some layer pellets in sugar water and she actually seem interested and picked at the food for a few minuets. She doesn't seem to be able to locate the water bowl by herself so every couple of hours I hold the water bowl to her beak and she will take a couple of gulps. In her recovery box she spends most of her time on her feet. One eye is opened, the left eye remains shut. Every day, I take her out in the bright sun about 80 degrees. She seems to like this and melts down into a pile like she is in a dust bath. She will only take a few steps in any direction and has shown no interest in pecking at the ground. My biggest concern is that she is not eating and drinking enough to maintain her weight. She does seem to have 3-4 poops a day that seem just a bit smaller than ordinary. Today, I took her to visit the other three hens outside of their fence. They seemed very interested in her through the fence and she started to make some clucking sounds. As she got closer to the fence it was clear that the other hens wanted to attack her and poked their heds through the fence. This alarmed her and for the first time I saw her open her left eye which has been shut since the attack. It only remained open for a moment. Today she started to curl her feet, standing on one and curling the other. She hadn't been doing this and I am wondering if this is a bad sign. I did put out some scratch greens and it was the first time that I saw her peck at the ground. She took about 50 steps today, so I think that is good and now that I know she still has muscle in her left eye, she may regain use of that....but I am really concerned about the foot curling and knowing how much she should be eating.

I'm sorry for your poor hen. Does she have external wounds, or do you think her injuries are internal?
One of the members on here, dlhunicorn, has a website with info on providing support to an injured chicken. If you do a search on here, you will also find info. It often helps when a hen has been traumatized to give it electrolytes; there is info about this as well.
Good luck.

I can't help much but do notice that when chickens stand on one foot and curl up the other one, if they puff up it's because they aren't feeling well. Kind of like when humans curl up when they have a stomach ache. Good luck!

Can you pick up some cage bird hand feeding formula? Its got a lot of what she needs for nutrition and since you mix it in water she gets some hydration at the same time. You'll find it in pet stores.

Have you tried setting up a light for warmth? Experiment, place it a little bit away from her see if she moves under it. Are you still dosing with the aspirin?

I am not giving her aspirn becuase I wasn't sure of the dosage, but I have been giving her pedolyte and I think that is helping. She loves the bright sun but I don't want to leave her in it to long for fear of dehydrating her. He appitite has picked up this afternoon, but she still needs to be reminded to eat and drink.

For the dosage its one 325mg adult aspirin in one gallon of water. Sounds like if she's loving the warmth of the sun that much then she would benefit from additional warmth. Are you familiar with the bell lamps we all use in brooders? You can set one of those up for her.

I keep one handy just for that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom