Redoing the bathroom - Your opinions needed! *!*Update pg 6*!*

Are oversized showers a rage right now? I am sure tubs have their reasons but more and more people are energy conscience than before and a tub takes too much water.

Sooner or later, I will tile the floor, its only a matter of time I'll have that darn vinyl ripped out.

Don't know about the rage, but all the places seem to have them
in stock.

Consider carpet...for the most part, we have no need to get the floor
very wet. Dry off before you get out of the tub. Carpet is never cold on
my feet.

But neither carpet is very big, and I can remove them for cleaning if need
be. As when my shutoff valve leaked, I removed the carpet to clean it and
make sure the floor was dry underneath. Linoleum underneath. Then padding,
then carpet.

the bathroom did have carpet when we moved in. Tore it out! Never again! Black mold around the toliet and sink and the tub ends, it was nasty. No carpet anywhere in our house now, we tore it all out. Allergy issues with them LOL!

Now a throw rug or non slip rug near the tub is enough for me! However we still get water coming out the shower curtains so I have several rugs on hand.

My SO and I decided its time to slowly start revamping our house to put it on the market. Were not moving for another couple years at least but... its just time.

I'm going to offer another perspective here. Instead of putting money into renovations, remodels into a place that you plan to leave in a few years---save that money and apply it towards your new place, either as a down payment or repairs. Sell your current home "as is", because more than likely, the new owner will redo whatever you did, no matter what color palate you chose.

I realize you aren't doing anything in terms of repairs...I just wanted to say that I despise those shows featuring homes being redone or repaired before placing them on the market--it spawned some cheap, poorly done cover-ups by people that have no idea what they're doing. Dh & I have just started looking for another home and we decided to put off making changes to our house because more than likely we can only afford a "fixer-upper" if we want a larger house + anything more than a 1/2 acre of land. We would rather buy "as is", knowing up front what needs to be done and do it right, yet suit our tastes. Dh is a roofing contractor and has friends in the construction business, so he's seen some very shoddy "repairs" by people aiming for a higher selling price and the new owner had to have re-done.​

Last edited:
Its true, very true shoody repairs to make on a quick sale. Too many people want move in type, and do NO renovations. That is what the market is going for but when we bought our house, priced 10,000 less than actual price they were selling it for, it was an eyesore for new kitchen and bathroom. So we had that in mind and glad I did it. I wished we took pic of "before" and after pictures of the house but didn't.

Our realtor said "as is" houses are harder to sell than the ones that are "move in" ready homes.

Im not doing anything HUGE...
We have an active household with 2 kids (5 & 3) and 2 GSD and another Shepherd mix.. Our walls NEED to be redone.
We are going to replace the carpet (but not till right before we put it on the market) because it was the cheapest you can find with almost 10 years on it. I clean them 2x or more a year and they keep sort of clean but you can tell they are old.

We bought the house as a foclosure so it wasnt in the greatest shape. A couple holes in the wall and the flooring in the kitchen and bath are scratched. They will need to be replaced.
I dont mind spending a couple grand over a couple to few years to make the house sell quicker in the end

I did my hallway brown with white trim and the bathroom at the end of the hall a minty turquoise. The colors looks SOOOOOOO GOOD together. I'll take pics for you when I get home

Quote:
We went out and looked at a few colors. Since we are going to be here another couple few years Im going to risk not so BOLD colors but also not such "drabby" ones either.
smile.png

Here is what Ive done with the light fixtures..
Ive done the same to the light switch and knobs
The "spots" are just wet touch up spots.. When it dries its an even color
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Faircloth9945/lights.jpg

Very nice fixtures! Consider new glass for them, rather than plain white. Go for an interesting texture or even a colour to add decor to the room. Use high wattage compact flourescent bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom