Releasing rescued pigeon?

Without having learned street smarts he won't survive in the wild. Pigeons are domesticated animals and even when raised wild live short and hard lives. They survive by breeding a lot to offset the losses. I would keep it as a pet. Letting a single bird fly outdoors wirhout a flock is very risky as he can be targeted by a hawk. They adapt well as indoor pets if its what they know.

Yeah I think I'm just going to keep him. I have grown pretty attached to the little guy anyway lol. We named him Percy :) I'm going to ask one of my co-workers today about commissioning her husband for an outdoor aviary (since he does some really nice woodworking). I already have something in mind for it, but need to draw up the plans.

Also, I know pigeons are social, so I'm assuming I'm going to need to get Percy a friend soon once I have the aviary up. I'm 90% sure Percy is a boy too. Would it be better to get him a female, or just buddy him up with another male? I don't really want any babies at this moment in time lol but I suppose I could just take eggs away if I had to get him a girlfriend.

Back
Top Bottom