Reproductive illness

Cancer or internal laying can be her issue ?
Another Vet appointment might be an option for you?..

Another vet appointment is 100% my preference, but no one can get her in any time soon. I just need to get her through until I can get her in. I will keep calling to see if there have been any cancellations. She is eating and reasonably perky this AM. She laid an unshelled egg overnight. Why can’t she just stop laying in winter like a normal bird?! Grrr....

Can you figure out a way to reduce her exposure to sunlight?

Vermont in the winter barely has any sunlight to begin with, and I don’t offer artificial light so I’m not sure how to reduce it farther.:idunno They currently all have to hang out in the barn (loads of space, not a lot of light) when no one is home and they get free-range time when someone is home to observe. They seem happy enough with the arrangement, although their schedule can vary. I wonder if that could play a part in this?

On a good note, Daphne seems entirely normal this evening. Everyone had a good romp in the snow followed by a swim in some slushy water which made Goon 1 and Daphne a bit frisky. Everyone ate like pigs, then got tucked in for the night.

I went to a couple of different farm stores after lunch without success. Continuing to search for an appointment sooner than the end of the month!!

Tentative Plan

Tonight 1) Hope to hell that she does ok overnight

Tomorrow 2) Research appropriate oxytetracycline dose using the Plumb’s manual. 3) Buy oxytetracycline 4) learn how to inject Daphne if needed 5) Treat Daphne 6) Hope for the best...

If you are going to buy an antibiotic I suggest you buy enrofloxacin, not oxytetracyline. I say this because if she has a bacterial infection the bacteria is probably E. coli and most E. coli strains are resistant to oxytetracyline.

Thank you. I’ll buy it if I can find it! I’m somehow doubting that I could break Baytril tablets into an appropriate oral dose...

Back
Top Bottom