Reproductive issues in geese

LakeGooseBerry

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2014
I have a 6-year-old pet goose who spends a lot of time inside and who is part of the family. This year her egg-laying has been problematic.

I will describe her behavior and symptoms and maybe someone can tell me what might be going on and if there is anything that can help her.

Up until this cycle and her last, she has been fine, and her eggs have been normal. Today I have her confined with a pen around her egg box so I can keep an eye on her. She is not eating but is drinking.

Her diet consists of grass, all the fruits and veggies she wants, and rice crispy cereal (Don’t judge me. She refuses to eat pellets). She also has access to whatever she can find outside and a bucket of gravel and oyster shells inside. She also has her water bucket which has poultry vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics.

Her last cycle started in the middle of January with several days of diarrhea, lethargy, and no appetite. Finally, she laid a soft-shelled egg and the rest were normal except for her next egg which was very bloody inside. I took her to her vet, and she was given anti-diarrhea medicine and a couple of kinds of antibiotics. It was a shorter than normal egg-lay with about 9 eggs. Following her 9 eggs, she brooded which is normal for her.

Her current cycle started a few days ago with lethargy and no appetite for a couple of days. Finally, a couple of evenings ago, she passed an intact egg that had no shell at all. But after passing the egg there was a white stringy thing hanging out of her. My plan was to call the vet the next day. But in the night, she passed the stringy thing and a second smaller egg. The second egg was intact and had no shell. Yesterday the vet gave her a probiotic for the diarrhea.

Her usual pattern is to go to her egg-laying box for normal labor before her egg comes but this time, she has no interest instead she just stands in the same place for hours. Today she is behaving the same as a few days ago – standing, not eating, squirting water periodically, and generally looking miserable.

Has anyone had experience with this and did your goose survive?

Has the vet tried Baytril for her? If not, it might be worth ordering some and giving her that. Baytril is a good broad spectrum antibiotic and would likely help if this was some kind of infection.

It also sounds like she might not be getting enough calcium. Even if she has access to oyster shell, all those soft-shelled eggs are pointing towards a calcium deficiency. I would pick up at a feed store some Calcium Gluconate. Give it to her orally at a rate of 100 mg/kg. You can give it to her over treats, or if she won't take it that way, directly with a syringe. If you weigh her (which you should) @casportpony can probably tell you the exact dose.

She may also be having a problem with vitamin D3 or phosphorus. Both are needed for the proper absorption of calcium. Her current diet may not be providing her a lot of this.

So, on the diet front. If she gets hungry enough, she will eat pellets and not rice crispy cereal, which really isn't good for her. I'm assuming this is the Rice Crispies cereal that Kellogg's makes? That's a lot of sugar and not a lot of nutritional content. If she's not into the pellets, try a crumble. Perhaps Flock Raiser crumble from Purina or Naturewise. My geese like both of those.

However, if she seems like she's really thin and losing weight, and not really interested in eating, you may need to tube feed her until we can get her over this hump and feeling better. That is also something I could walk you through doing if you wanted to try.

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge. You have given me a lot to take to her vet. As you probably know there are not a ton of vets who treat pet geese so it is helpful to acquire information from people who have experience.

Regarding the Baytril, can this be ordered online without a prescription? I will definitely ask her vet about it.

I will get Calcium Gluconate and try that too.

One observation I can offer is that with the expulsion of the shell-less egg there appears to be a white glob of what might be calcium goo. I have also noticed white (not the usual white uric acid deposit in her stool) deposits in her water trough/bath. If this is calcium could this mean that perhaps she is not absorbing calcium well?

She is not overly thin but she goes through the cyclical weight up and down that comes with eggs and brood periods. You mentioned the Flock Raiser, is this a choice for all the time or just until she is feeling better? Should she be getting adult food as a regular feed? I have chickens and the chick food has lower calcium.

You talked about tube feeding…YIKES! But I am willing to try if that is something that will help her. How do you do it? I suppose YouTube could be of help maybe?

I guess the upshot is I am trying to figure out if this could be a diet thing or if some serious problem has developed in her reproductive system.

Thanks again

You are so nice to ask.
She gets sick on egg days but once she expels the egg she bounces back.

I am conferring with her vet about options. After reading your post about Keld I was encouraged. The idea of surgery is still on the table. I think I will call around to other vets Monday to see if they have ideas.

Fingers crossed

Thanks for the update! I'm so happy to hear she's ok between eggs. Well, of course I'd be happier if she was feeling better all the time, but at least she's able to bounce back.

I hope you find a vet who can shine some light on what's going on with her - and hopefully find a solution. Please keep us updated - fingers crossed on this end, too! :fl

Back
Top Bottom