Requesting advice for converting a shed into a Coop and building a run

Pics

Tronracer

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2018
South New Jersey
Hi all. Newbie here.

Here is what I am working with. I have 7 chicks in my basement right now. They are 2 weeks old. I am converting this old shed into a coop and the clock is ticking. I am trying to get this done as inexpensive as possible.

Looking at this pic, how would you organize it? Roost in the back? Off to the right? How high? Where do the nesting boxes go? Should I cover the concrete with Linoleum? The walls with linoleum?

What about the run? For the size I am looking to build, how many 4x4 posts need to be set in concrete? Should I put a roof on it or just hardware cloth?

How many vents should I install? is a vent just a hole cut out and hardware cloth added?

I live in NJ

thank you for your help!
coop.jpg
run.jpg

Lots of possibilities here. Good that it’s on the south side. Heat is a huge issue for me. What type of wild critters do you have there? That will depend on how you build out run.
I’d cover it as well. Ive always used t-post for my post much easier and can be moved easier. Chicken math has required easy for me.
Do you have access to old building supplies or do you have a window there you can add to the coop? It could also be used as venting.
The height of roost depends on chickens abilities. Heavy birds lower roost. I like to use 2x4 for roost it gives them a flat area for their claws. Just remove any splinters from whatever you use.

Welcome to BYC!

Good info you've provided, but I'll ask for more.
How big is the shed?

What you put on the floor may depend on how you plan to manage manure.
I like poop boards, dry shavings on the floor, and deep litter in run.

Is there water coming in....dark spots on floor??
Maybe from rain running off roof?

Is that eave open, or open-able?
Might think about adding a couple windows.

I would roof part of the run anyway, the part closest to the coop for winter shelter and as well as to divert coop roof run off(think about where that water will go).

There's a lot of ways to frame a run, I used Tposts.
How many posts at what spacing will depend on how you are going to mesh the walls,
it's good to have nailers that match the width of your mesh or ease and security of mesh installation.

Lots of possibilities here. Good that it’s on the south side. Heat is a huge issue for me. What type of wild critters do you have there? That will depend on how you build out run.
I’d cover it as well. Ive always used t-post for my post much easier and can be moved easier. Chicken math has required easy for me.
Do you have access to old building supplies or do you have a window there you can add to the coop? It could also be used as venting.
The height of roost depends on chickens abilities. Heavy birds lower roost. I like to use 2x4 for roost it gives them a flat area for their claws. Just remove any splinters from whatever you use.
I've heard there are fox in the woods behind my house. I've never seen one and there is about an acre of open land before the woods. There are also moles.

So do you think maybe 3 or 4 concreted anchored posts and the rest of the supports, T posts?

Welcome to BYC!

Good info you've provided, but I'll ask for more.
How big is the shed?

What you put on the floor may depend on how you plan to manage manure.
I like poop boards, dry shavings on the floor, and deep litter in run.

Is there water coming in....dark spots on floor??
Maybe from rain running off roof?

Is that eave open, or open-able?
Might think about adding a couple windows.

I would roof part of the run anyway, the part closest to the coop for winter shelter and as well as to divert coop roof run off(think about where that water will go).

There's a lot of ways to frame a run, I used Tposts.
How many posts at what spacing will depend on how you are going to mesh the walls,
it's good to have nailers that match the width of your mesh or ease and security of mesh installation.
The shed is actually a small addition to the back of my garage. It is 4ft x 20 feet, but I plan to cut off the beginning of the shed to use for storage an add another door. so let's say 4ft x 12ft. I'm not sure what the dark spots are. I think they are stains.

The eaves are open. also the bottom is also open. I will need to seal that off.

This "shed" used to be an outhouse for a pool that was filled in on my property.

the roof of the coop is actually the extended garage roof so it has a gutter and the rain water is diverted to a pipe underground that empties to a gravel pit.

I've heard there are fox in the woods behind my house. I've never seen one and there is about an acre of open land before the woods. There are also moles.

So do you think maybe 3 or 4 concreted anchored posts and the rest of the supports, T posts?
You are not likely to see any predators. They see you.
Maybe a four by four for a gate support. But that’s all. I use the edge of barn to hold gate. Make gate wide enough for a wheel barrel and your hands to go through.
Also for predator control I bend the first row of wire about a foot out and bury it in front of fence. Deters digging. Not worrying about moles. Do you have mink? They are awful from what I hear. We don’t have them here but plenty of other things

Should be a good setup. Coop layout help is easier with the inside coop dimensions.

I've done an old wood shed conversion. I'll caution you that they take serious attention to small predator proofing, rats, weasels, mink etc. I've been digging and plugging holes all winter.

For dirt floors, trench the whole way around and bury hardware cloth along inside walls adjacent to the other structure(is there a common wall?), run that wire up the inside walls then cover with boards, linoleum, whatever so chickens don't get toes caught. Then a flat skirt on the outside walls. If a quarter fits so does a weasel or rat. Don't use chicken wire. Hardware cloth.

You have concrete. That's a different issue. I can see a crack so they can get in for sure. If you have unsound wood at the bottom they are coming in. Hardware cloth that crack. I poured some concrete patches, they chewed through somehow. Maybe if you concrete patched over hardware cloth?

Great coop builders here, you'll get great advice!

The shed is actually a small addition to the back of my garage. It is 4ft x 20 feet, but I plan to cut off the beginning of the shed to use for storage an add another door. so let's say 4ft x 12ft. I'm not sure what the dark spots are. I think they are stains.

The eaves are open. also the bottom is also open. I will need to seal that off.

This "shed" used to be an outhouse for a pool that was filled in on my property.

the roof of the coop is actually the extended garage roof so it has a gutter and the rain water is diverted to a pipe underground that empties to a gravel pit.
Use hardware cloth to seal openings. It looks pretty air tight which isn’t good. My “coops” are open on at least three sides except the greenhouse it’s ventilated with fans and automatic vents on roof.
How hot do you get there?

Back
Top Bottom