Respiratory Illness? Serious?

CayugaMama

Songster
May 22, 2020
Austin, TX
My 1-year-old Silkie Hen has had a swollen face the past few days. I just thought the mosquitos had gotten her, but I noticed today that she has thick white mucus in one of her eyes. And ideas as to what this could be? Should I separate her? Is it serious?
90058A12-6CF6-4976-AFF5-8822EBE3D806.jpeg
EF2B198C-708C-4970-BC60-BE8A44E384F3.jpeg
EE5BE005-21CF-4CF6-84CA-0D0C0D0CF7FB.jpeg

Are those scabs around her face on the left side? It could be that she possibly has some fowl pox that have affected her eye. Fowl pox can create a right environment for secondary infection. Mucus, foam, or pus in the eye with swelling can be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a respiratory disease that is common around some backyard flocks. Tylosin powder in the water or Tylan injectable can help treat symptoms. You can get tylosin powder for pigeons online, but Tylan injectable may be harder to find in feed stores. Your local vet may be helpful.

MG is a chronic disease that may come and go. Most people close their flocks with MG. It can be transmitted vertically through hatching eggs.

Are those scabs around her face on the left side? It could be that she possibly has some fowl pox that have affected her eye. Fowl pox can create a right environment for secondary infection. Mucus, foam, or pus in the eye with swelling can be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a respiratory disease that is common around some backyard flocks. Tylosin powder in the water or Tylan injectable can help treat symptoms. You can get tylosin powder for pigeons online, but Tylan injectable may be harder to find in feed stores. Your local vet may be helpful.

MG is a chronic disease that may come and go. Most people close their flocks with MG. It can be transmitted vertically through hatching eggs.
Thank you so much for all of the helpful information!!

Back
Top Bottom