Respritory illness

I've never injected and orally sounds easier so probably that. where can I get it just at tsc? And should I also give it to the other frizzle?
@Squishychicken since you are in NC, you can try asking at your pharmacy for some infant or 1ml syringes. A lot probably depends on how relaxed your city it, but mine will give me a few for free. I don't know if the needle is large enough to puncture the seal on the Tylan bottle though, all you need it for is to draw up your medication, twist off the needle then direct dose your sick bird.
1ml syringes will be easier for you to get your dosage since he is so small. It will not hurt too much if you go a little over, Tylan50 has a wide dosage range and the .25ml per pound is a mid range dosage.
Draw up .12ml if you can, then give that orally, 3 times a day for 5 days.
The link below shows you how:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

upload_2019-3-17_0-2-24.png

Glad that Wyorp Rock and Mosey have given you dosage on Tylan 50. For a tiny serama, I would agree that giving it orally a drop at a time would be safer than injecting.

If you are smelling a bad odor around the head of this newly sick chicken, it could be coryza. Just guessing about what infection you are treating is not a good way of handling things. I would try to get some testing. You could contact your local NPIP testor or go to a vet to get testing.

Are these birds new or have they been exposed to any new birds? Canker, MG, and coryza are treated with different medicines. Using antibiotics without knowing what is going on can contribute to antibiotic resistance. When adding a new bird to your flock, it is wise to keep them in quarantine for at least 30 days to see if they have any symptoms of disease. Even then they can be unsymptomatic carriers. If you should lose a bird or put one down, I would seek a necropsy through your state vet to get a diagnosis.
Here is a good link with respiratory diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

So the bad smell in the one with the eye his names colonel has went away. His gurglness has also went down. His eye almost looks like the membrane was torn slightly. He wont open his eye unless hes movin so pics are real herd to get.

Tylan is safe to give since you are having these symptoms. It is just that coryza may require sulfa antibiotics as well to treat. Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store or plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used in eyes twice a day after cleaning them. I just want to stress that you should not add sick birds to your flock. They remain carriers for life. Getting testing or a necropsy can help to tell you what disease you are dealing with. It seems that you may have bought sick birds.

Back
Top Bottom