Do you have a retriever?

• Total voters
Pics
She’s gorgeous! :love
Thank you!

She smiled when she was happy. She actually smiled. I miss her.
Dogs may be the only critters that smile, besides us. Their faces are SO expressive, mirrors of our expressions. They can look surprised, worried, curious, sad, joyful ... a whole vocabulary of emotions that you just don't see on other animal's faces (horses' maybe?). They are so amazing. They can eveen laugh - when they sneeze, that's laughter, joy. Don't they sneeze at you when you've been away? Sneeze back and see how surprised they look. That's, "oh hey, I didn't know you spoke Dog!" Do it again, you may get a dialog going.

What a nice dog ❤️
Thanks!
Good morning, OF. I miss Maggie Mae. :( There's a picture of her and me above the computer table and another in the bookcase.
:hugsThey do get into your heart, don't they?

Jenny is beautiful!
Thanks, all of you who said so! ❤️

Dogs may be the only critters that smile, besides us. Their faces are SO expressive, mirrors of our expressions. They can look surprised, worried, curious, sad, joyful ... a whole vocabulary of emotions that you just don't see on other animal's faces (horses' maybe?). They are so amazing. They can eveen laugh - when they sneeze, that's laughter, joy. Don't they sneeze at you when you've been away? Sneeze back and see how surprised they look. That's, "oh hey, I didn't know you spoke Dog!" Do it again, you may get a dialog going.

They definitely show their emotions. I can tell when my are sad, happy, or nervous. Its amazing though how they show it.

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and have no pictures, because they all predate this computer. Must get some into this system!
We've had three Chesapeake Bay retrievers, our favorite breed. Not for everyone, as they are guard dogs, in addition to being bird dogs. Ours did obedience and field work, and one of them also did a 'passive protection' class, all a lot of fun, years ago.
And I too like the Richard Wolters books!
Anyone else have Chessies?
Mary

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and have no pictures, because they all predate this computer. Must get some into this system!
We've had three Chesapeake Bay retrievers, our favorite breed. Not for everyone, as they are guard dogs, in addition to being bird dogs. Ours did obedience and field work, and one of them also did a 'passive protection' class, all a lot of fun, years ago.
And I too like the Richard Wolters books!
Anyone else have Chessies?
Mary
Glad you enjoyed it! Yours sound like they were amazing! Unfortunately the only Chessie I’ve known was a quite aggressive one and I never even met him (brother’s friend’s dog) so I can’t say much about the breed.

They are definitely not Goldens! Some labs are aggressive, and I've met three awful Goldens, BTW.
Chessies were developed to be stupendous water retrievers, and to guard their boats and owner's property. Without good socialization and real training, and having owners who run the show, these dogs will take over. Many people should not have this breed, as many people shouldn't have any guard type dog.
Mary

They are definitely not Goldens! Some labs are aggressive, and I've met three awful Goldens, BTW.
Chessies were developed to be stupendous water retrievers, and to guard their boats and owner's property. Without good socialization and real training, and having owners who run the show, these dogs will take over. Many people should not have this breed, as many people shouldn't have any guard type dog.
Mary
Yeah, unfortunately there’s a lot of aggressive Labs and Goldens now too. 😭

And yeah, that’s a good point and makes a lot of sense. They seem like good dogs but definitely not for everybody and certainly not for someone expecting a Lab temperament.

The only dog we've owned who ever bit anyone was a rescue Dalmation, a guard breed cursed by Disney's movies. 'How cute" while the dog has hair and tail raised, growling, at the door with me not present. Tried to walk through him, and was fortunately only nipped. Idiots! Can't read the dog, only 'cute Dalmation'!!!
NOBODY tried to walk through Trina, our brown Chessie, who would shake the door, lunging at it while barking and growling, again, in my absence. When I invited people in, she was very friendly. Training!
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom