Rhode Island Red Hen sounds raspy

Stone13

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Lake Village, Indiana
My girl is just about a year old, yesterday she started sounding raspy, like she's smokes a pack a day. LOL. The temperatures here in Indiana have been frigid and it's now just getting in the thirtys. She eats verv well and seems to drink. Could this be the fluctuation in temps causing this, or do I need to sprinkle some antibiotics in the water or food? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Jimmy

This powder is designed for 1 tablespoon dissolved into a gallon of water. That is a HUGE quantity to make because it must be used up every 24 hours. I'd suggest 1/2 a teaspoon into a quart. Then, drench her feed with the solution, enough to make it damp. Also use the solution as her only drinking supply. You'll have to make a fresh quart of liquid every morning.

To accomplish this, you'll have to feed and water her using small devices. She should be separated by herself anyhow. Do not discontinue use until she's had this on her feed, and as her sole drinking water for 7-10 days. She needs to be in a warm, dry, isolated place.

Keep a sharp ear and sharp eye on any other birds you may have. This kind of thing can spread quickly. Most flock keepers simply kill any bird with respiratory sounds like this. This choice to cull or cure is up to you.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/durvetreg;-duramycin-10-6-2-5-oz

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom