Ribh's D'Coopage

I've been on the next mountain watching my friend make up a batch of feed for his Fayoumies.
To say I'm stunned is an understatement. There are no grains in the feed.
There were more herbs than I knew the name of in any language, each to supply certain vitamins and minerals. The nearest thing to anything that I might feed the chickens here was some alfalfa.
The feed is basically meat and quite a lot of it. There were also some seed pods that he gets sent from Egypt. Apparently they are part of the staple diet of the original Fayoumies.
These chickens roost either in his open loft with one of his dogs, or in the trees, depending on the weather mostly. He now has 11 breeding pairs all free ranging. He says his eldest is 12 years old and she has arthritis.:love
I've been trying to get to spend more time with this guy for a while now but don't wish to impose. Apart from being what I would describe as a good man he knows an awful lot about chickens that I don't and each time we talk I learn something.
I also had a look in his laboratory/clinic. He's well kitted out including a large stainless steel table with a grip mat and a microscope, plus a proper specimen fridge.

I've been on the next mountain watching my friend make up a batch of feed for his Fayoumies.
To say I'm stunned is an understatement. There are no grains in the feed.
There were more herbs than I knew the name of in any language, each to supply certain vitamins and minerals. The nearest thing to anything that I might feed the chickens here was some alfalfa.
The feed is basically meat and quite a lot of it. There were also some seed pods that he gets sent from Egypt. Apparently they are part of the staple diet of the original Fayoumies.
These chickens roost either in his open loft with one of his dogs, or in the trees, depending on the weather mostly. He now has 11 breeding pairs all free ranging. He says his eldest is 12 years old and she has arthritis.:love
I've been trying to get to spend more time with this guy for a while now but don't wish to impose. Apart from being what I would describe as a good man he knows an awful lot about chickens that I don't and each time we talk I learn something.
I also had a look in his laboratory/clinic. He's well kitted out including a large stainless steel table with a grip mat and a microscope, plus a proper specimen fridge.
I am so envious right now. They are beautiful birds. What a wonderful opportunity to learn!

I have had the best weekend in a long time!! The pain in the butt neighbors are MOVING!!! They listed their house for sale and all the kids cheered when they saw the sign out front!!!

Mason turned 10 on the 15th, of course he was with his mother (she won't share), so we celebrated his birthday this weekend. Rich and him went out to spend some guys time together and pick out his present.

They can back with a BB gun. Mason was so excited. Him and Rich practiced all weekend and Mason is a very good shot!

We did a little spring cleaning of the coops as well. My silkie broodies still have 14 eggs between them, they are co-siting again. Plus the 8 eggs in the incubator, they are on lockdown and are at 21 days on Wednesday the 26th.

I did get some very nice pictures this weekend as well.

Goldie wants to know why I stop with the treats!!
View attachment 2034866

Stanley did not appreciated me taking a picture of Vicki with her full food boob!!
View attachment 2034913

Just some random pictures of my Barred Rocks and the California Whites.
View attachment 2034919

View attachment 2034921
That is super good news. I bet your girls cheered too. Free ranging here we come!

I am so envious right now. They are beautiful birds. What a wonderful opportunity to learn!
I only saw three.:oops: and that was quite a distance away. They are quick and apprently to quick for the Goshawk. He hasn't lost one to the Goshawk. The Peregrine Falcon is fast enough though and he's lost a few to them. He now has a colony in Morocco as well that his brother keeps. Very interesting man.

Yesterday morning.
We left early for the mainland.

I had bits cut out of sensitive parts of my face so I was pretty much a write off for the rest of the day.
Chook food, building stuff & some yarn for me.

The girls spent their 1st full day together & I wasn't round to supervise. :(
Everyone survived. Mhari & Medh were both eating from my hand yesterday & they both roosted together on the top bar last night. Interesting social dynamics starting to emerge.
20200225_060027.jpg

I only saw three.:oops: and that was quite a distance away. They are quick and apprently to quick for the Goshawk. He hasn't lost one to the Goshawk. The Peregrine Falcon is fast enough though and he's lost a few to them. He now has a colony in Morocco as well that his brother keeps. Very interesting man.
The Campines are certainly quick. If I remember correctly the Fayoumi are also great foragers. How much territory are they covering, do you know?

Back
Top Bottom