Ribh's D'Coopage

Most of mine will let me slide a hand under them to remove eggs ~ even Luna who doesn't like being handled. I don't usually do it to the Campines but I am allowed to lift the lid & look without everyone abandoning nests!:lol: And both Ha'penny & Aoife will tolerate an egg collection from under them. Morrigu won't. She goes ballistic. I've got 1 or 2 that really hate it. Beatha gets upset but she's not a sitter like Mhari is. Mhari will collect eggs & sit all day so I prefer to collect as we go. Alpia has always been a super sweet, super friendly little hen. She goes out of her way to let me know she's there & would like some attention. I'll have to watch that because she's become quite chunky! :gig
Mine let me collect eggs from under them too. I try not to do it too often but it happens. I love doing it actually but although they don’t seem to mind I just assume they would prefer me not to.

Sydney is significantly smaller than Hattie. I expected them to be similar in size.

Give Sydney some time. I've found the BRs to be quite slow to reach their full growth.
I also wonder if status plays a part. Soda is pretty much twice the size Hepzibah is & weighs @ least twice as much. She is a really, really big hen now but it took nearly 3 years for her to get there. She is my lead hen too. Lavender is the only hen anywhere near her for size & not even close when it comes to weight. I rarely handle her because it would be too easy to damage her.
ced0e73f-05b7-46b0-8a1c-8638139124e5 (3).jpg

Just observation, Bob, & knowing who's eggs are whose. Lavender has always been clumsy. She's the one who drops an egg from the top roost overnight & smashes it on the coop floor. She's the one who steps on her egg as she exits the nesting box. I lose more of her eggs than anyone else because she's so big & clumsy. Mind you, I'm in & out of the nesting boxes all day because I don't like to leave them sit. Between snakes & broodies it's best I collect pretty quickly, so I probably have more chance of seeing what's going on.
I may turn broody cam back on tomorrow. It's getting frustrating.

Give Sydney some time. I've found the BRs to be quite slow to reach their full growth.
I also wonder if status plays a part. Soda is pretty much twice the size Hepzibah is & weighs @ least twice as much. She is a really, really big hen now but it took nearly 3 years for her to get there. She is my lead hen too. Lavender is the only hen anywhere near her for size & not even close when it comes to weight. I rarely handle her because it would be too easy to damage her.
View attachment 2279660
I like to judge by head size. Both Sydney and Sansa still have small heads compared to even Lilly. They seem weird next to each other their heads are so much smaller. So I assume they will still grow.

I like to judge by head size. Both Sydney and Sansa still have small heads compared to even Lilly. They seem weird next to each other their heads are so much smaller. So I assume they will still grow.
Good observation, Bob. I've never noticed head size as such.

Good observation, Bob. I've never noticed head size as such.
If Sansa's body is Lilly sized but she has a much smaller head, There has to be more growth. Hattie's head is Lilly's size even though she is much bigger than Lilly.

I'm looking for headshots now.

Mine let me collect eggs from under them too. I try not to do it too often but it happens. I love doing it actually but although they don’t seem to mind I just assume they would prefer me not to.
I will sometimes get a gentle peck from a broody but none of mine are complete maniac broodies. Otherwise most don't seem to care & even enjoy the occasional stroke while I tell them what good girls they are & how lovely their eggs taste.

Back
Top Bottom