Ribh's D'Coopage

I find it adorable. Though my broody experience this year was not good, so I don’t envy you.
I can't let them sit so I find it distressing having to constantly thwart such an innate drive as well as frustrating having to constantly monitor them. These are young, inexperienced hens who tend not to leave the nest to eat & from sad experience I know that can be disasterous!

I can't let them sit so I find it distressing having to constantly thwart such an innate drive as well as frustrating having to constantly monitor them. These are young, inexperienced hens who tend not to leave the nest to eat & from sad experience I know that can be disasterous!
Yikes. Are you pulling them from the nest? I feel terrible fighting that natural drive, too. But this year I caved and got chicks for Little Mill. She growled and pecked at them, so I raised them myself. (Which isn’t so bad, ss they are very affectionate!)

Yikes. Are you pulling them from the nest? I feel terrible fighting that natural drive, too. But this year I caved and got chicks for Little Mill. She growled and pecked at them, so I raised them myself. (Which isn’t so bad, ss they are very affectionate!)
Yes. I've had a bit going on so haven't been quite as diligent as I should have been about breaking them but I lift them off the nest several times each day to eat, drink, poop & dust bathe. They are in my small coop now, which is what I use for my broodies & will be dealt with because I don't have the time & it's pointless to allow them to persist. I nearly caved when I saw our Produce store had chicks but they were Hyliners ~ a high production hybrid~ & the chicks were already nearly as big as my bantams so I thought better of it. :lol:

Well, they're roosting of their own accord in the little coop.
Alpia wasn't @ all happy about it but in the end there was nothing else she could do.

Wrold, who initially fights harder, seems to accept the inevitable faster & was roosting & settled a good 20 minutes before Alpia finally conceded defeat. I have had to listen to the pair of them all afternoon pathetically bok~bokking for their lost nest. *sigh*
20201026_181439.jpg

Back
Top Bottom