Ribh's D'Coopage

I have done the Littlies but ran out before I could do my big girls. Will be seeing the vet again this week so hopefully sorted then.

It reminds me of what I was seeing in poops at the tail end of treating for coccidiosis. I was brooding in the Common garage like building and picked up some new chicks from my breeder after my dismal First hatching attempt, 48 eggs set and 14 chicks, half boys... wasn’t a stellar start to my chicken rearing. I bought some straight run “week olds”, that were from an order that the buyer backed out of. This is where some people will yell “Quarantine”, but I was thinking as it was the same breeder I got the eggs from there wouldn’t be an issue. Except they had already been brooded at her farm until I picked them up.

I lost one of the chicks the first night to a pre-existing pasty butt (that had had to poop torn off with the bum fluff), and after a week moved them into a brooder adjacent to my home hatched chicks. It was winter here, and I was concerned about putting them out in the weather too soon. At 9 weeks old my favorite pullet from my hatch was suddenly found dead in the brooder, then the bloody poops appeared. This was after a few weeks of having the new chicks in the same room. I am certain between the child here playing with them and the new chicks that there was cross contamination between the two brooders and the coccidiosis was brought in with the new chicks (10/14 were boys too, so that didn’t even really help my layer numbers!)

I started treating with the Amprolium I convinced my cats vet to Reluctantly prescribe for meI moved them out onto grass, and everyone else survived, but I was seeing that pinkish/red goo in watery gelatinous poops for several weeks afterwards. My understanding is there are many different strains of cocci and that they are present, but tolerated, to some degree in most poultry. coccidiosis happens when there’s an overload or a when a different strain of cocci is brought in that your flock isn’t accustomed to. I also now just hatch/brood in the room where my mother stays, so she can keep the little girl from damaging/traumatizing the babies too much, and I bring them up here either into the barn or on the grass outside ASAP.

This afternoon the rain abated, the humidity went down to manageable levels & I proceeded to throw worming tablets down my big girls' throats. I had a couple of bluffers. A couple of lets spit this back @ her but mostly they allowed themselves to be caught without dramas & obediently swallowed their allotted bit of tablet without too many dramas. Alpia was one of my least co~operative but Wrold was a dream chicken. 😆

Medh may need another visit to the vet. I suspect ascites ~ though it wasn't diagnosed last time. She was checked for a stuck egg ~ nothing. But she has a real wide waddle up & what I think is a very swollen belly. I'm pretty sure she's stopped laying ~ which I am happy about if she's @ all off. She's always been rather a quiet hen ~ unlike the rambunctious Aoeifa ~ & doesn't scavenge as much as the other hens. She also had runny caecal stuck to her rump so she was brought inside for a quick clean up & a pesterene dust though I couldn't see anything on her but as I don't think she's really dustbathing or preening it's more precautionary than anything else. She doesn't seem unhappy or any different to usual, which I guess is good but I've been monitoring her since last time & feel she needs another check up just to be on the safe side. Everyone else seems pretty good.
I will be interested to hear the report on Medh. That is a little concerning.

Bob what’s your thoughts on my Little Red? He came in a batch is Sasso Meat Hybrids, which includes some NHR or RIR in the lines, but was nothing like the others in the batch of Chicks. He was different even as a day old in colour and pattern. I wish I had taken more pictures of them as chicks. Color is more lime RIR, but the body type is more ‘robust’?
Let me go find pictures of him again. I don't remember specifics on him other than he is stunning.

Yep, red is really antagonistic. It's not one of my favourite colours @ the best of times. It always seems to be yelling @ you. :(
Why is everyone so sensitive? I don't understand. This doesn't seem angry to me. It feels warm and fuzzy. I feel so attacked just because I like red. :(

there are many different strains of cocci and that they are present, but tolerated, to some degree in most poultry. coccidiosis happens when there’s an overload or a when a different strain of cocci is brought in that your flock isn’t accustomed to.
This is accurate. Most chickens can safely carry some level of coccidia. It's when there is an overload that illness takes hold.

It reminds me of what I was seeing in poops at the tail end of treating for coccidiosis. I was brooding in the Common garage like building and picked up some new chicks from my breeder after my dismal First hatching attempt, 48 eggs set and 14 chicks, half boys... wasn’t a stellar start to my chicken rearing. I bought some straight run “week olds”, that were from an order that the buyer backed out of. This is where some people will yell “Quarantine”, but I was thinking as it was the same breeder I got the eggs from there wouldn’t be an issue. Except they had already been brooded at her farm until I picked them up.

I lost one of the chicks the first night to a pre-existing pasty butt (that had had to poop torn off with the bum fluff), and after a week moved them into a brooder adjacent to my home hatched chicks. It was winter here, and I was concerned about putting them out in the weather too soon. At 9 weeks old my favorite pullet from my hatch was suddenly found dead in the brooder, then the bloody poops appeared. This was after a few weeks of having the new chicks in the same room. I am certain between the child here playing with them and the new chicks that there was cross contamination between the two brooders and the coccidiosis was brought in with the new chicks (10/14 were boys too, so that didn’t even really help my layer numbers!)

I started treating with the Amprolium I convinced my cats vet to Reluctantly prescribe for meI moved them out onto grass, and everyone else survived, but I was seeing that pinkish/red goo in watery gelatinous poops for several weeks afterwards. My understanding is there are many different strains of cocci and that they are present, but tolerated, to some degree in most poultry. coccidiosis happens when there’s an overload or a when a different strain of cocci is brought in that your flock isn’t accustomed to. I also now just hatch/brood in the room where my mother stays, so she can keep the little girl from damaging/traumatizing the babies too much, and I bring them up here either into the barn or on the grass outside ASAP.

Thanks, Kris. Yes this all came up when I was doing my research. The real problem was whatever started it all off, which was some sort of leg issue & infection ~ which came out @ the vets. The cocci was a very minor issue that only became an issue because she was already sick.

Back
Top Bottom