Ribh's D'Coopage

I'm still on the floor at my daughters. Housing is pretty desperate here. The private sector seems to think the object of property is to make it impossible for anyone earning less than some stupid amount of money to own or rent anything decent.
As I explained to the local authorities; I've got all this art work and I need a wall to hang it on.:D
I couldn't help but notice they seem to lack a sense of humour.:idunno
:smack
Sounds like here :(

Really hoping she's just laying late & not broody. It would break my heart to not let her sit.💔
20211021_170030.jpg

I did sort of look because I should have done archaeology not literature but the debt is astronomical! Plus I only have a couple of working years left before retirement so who wants to train anyone for that? Worse, I am really good @ the sort of things that won't earn me an income & very bad @ most of the things that would. :idunno I am putting some of my crochet up for sale on~line but again what it will actually sell for will maybe cover costs but not labour. I would also prefer to work from home because of the animals & my present anxiety issues ~ which may resolve when I can actually afford to move ~ but for the present I'm rather in limbo. Where I hope to move is near my old alma mater ~ so I haven't completely ruled out further study. Maybe I should just go for my PHD in Lit ~ though what earthly use it would be I have no idea!
At the risk of upsetting you and everyone else I am going to weigh in here because this discussion hits close to one of my triggers.
Too many people (maybe you included) define what they are good at way too narrowly and too tied to their original field of study (which we often pick randomly when we are barely out of being teenagers).
I don't even know you and I know that you are good with your hands, a font of common sense, and are a strong critical thinker able to analyze ambiguous and soft situations including things like emotion and motivation.
From what I have understood of your situation you are not trying to become a millionaire, just trying to have enough income to live independently.
I don't know how the social security system works in Australia so I may be off base here but my guess is you could patch together a number of part time activities that would add up.
Off the top of my head: Schools and universities need counsellors for their students; companies need customer service people (and many have found older people are better at the job because they are more able to understand what the customer is concerned about); Companies need people to proof read their instruction manuals for comprehensibility (hard to believe - but yes they do!); Publishers of all kinds need proof readers and editors; crisis lines and support groups need people to man them (mostly that is volunteers but not all); loads of small companies need folk willing to do a few hours a week to organize their offices.
None of the above are exciting careers and I am totally confident you could if you set your mind to it aspire much higher - but they are all jobs that need doing and can be done remotely and which I am very sure you would be able to do with one arm behind your back.
You are not defined by your degree or your narrow view of what you are good at.
Rant over. I will shut up now.
:oops:

At the risk of upsetting you and everyone else I am going to weigh in here because this discussion hits close to one of my triggers.
Too many people (maybe you included) define what they are good at way too narrowly and too tied to their original field of study (which we often pick randomly when we are barely out of being teenagers).
I don't even know you and I know that you are good with your hands, a font of common sense, and are a strong critical thinker able to analyze ambiguous and soft situations including things like emotion and motivation.
From what I have understood of your situation you are not trying to become a millionaire, just trying to have enough income to live independently.
I don't know how the social security system works in Australia so I may be off base here but my guess is you could patch together a number of part time activities that would add up.
Off the top of my head: Schools and universities need counsellors for their students; companies need customer service people (and many have found older people are better at the job because they are more able to understand what the customer is concerned about); Companies need people to proof read their instruction manuals for comprehensibility (hard to believe - but yes they do!); Publishers of all kinds need proof readers and editors; crisis lines and support groups need people to man them (mostly that is volunteers but not all); loads of small companies need folk willing to do a few hours a week to organize their offices.
None of the above are exciting careers and I am totally confident you could if you set your mind to it aspire much higher - but they are all jobs that need doing and can be done remotely and which I am very sure you would be able to do with one arm behind your back.
My current position has nothing to do with my degree at all. Well said. :clap :clap :goodpost:

Good evening folks :frow

To Bob's point, my degree is in Aeronautics with a focus on avionics and today I'm an IT financial analyst. It's really hard to get someone to hire you when you're close to retirement age. But, with your background, you might want to checkout Norman Neilson Group and take some classes in User Experience (Ux) There is a huge demand for Ux folks and not enough to fill it. And today, with the pandemic, there's a huge market for folks who can teach others on how to communicate and collaborate in a virtual environment.

I agree wholeheartedly!

To fill in on Australian social benefits, if Ribh is close to retirement age, she can study that out and Australia will support her: Austudy until old age pension. These options are not a pittance (jobseeker is a pittance) but also not a tonne of money. My dad loved the old age pension, it made a big difference in his quality of life.

But she may prefer to work and that's a very real option. There are loads of opportunities. The Link will connect her with a placement agency if that's what she wants to do.

Back
Top Bottom