RIR Pullets

Thomaswgordon

Songster
May 27, 2022
Maryland
We have two RIR pullets(I think they’re both pullets) about 7.5 weeks old. One is smaller and one is larger. Yesterday we noticed the smaller one was not as active as she had been, today she is keeping one of her eyes closed unless I force it open and appears normal. She just seems a little more lethargic than normal. She has opened it quickly on her own a couple times but then closes again.

The larger one has been making a strange noise constantly but otherwise seems healthy with no issues. I’m going to attach a picture of the eye issue RIR. I’ve read some about flushing the eye and will try that.

I have a video for sound of the strange noise but don’t think I can post videos here.

Attachments

• 2A0EAB5C-D2FA-40C5-968D-28BDE2CE9240.jpeg
    2A0EAB5C-D2FA-40C5-968D-28BDE2CE9240.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 29
  • E297FF6C-FE5F-4890-A224-EA1D75F933A6.jpeg
    E297FF6C-FE5F-4890-A224-EA1D75F933A6.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 4
Video's have to be uploaded to another host, like youtube, and the link put here. Then they can be seen.
What do droppings look like?

Video's have to be uploaded to another host, like youtube, and the link put here. Then they can be seen.
What do droppings look like?
Alright, I went back out and tried to flush the eye and she did not like that but was trying to squirm away which I guess is a good sign. All droppings I could find looked good aside from one little section of loose/diarrhea type.

The loud breathing almost sounds like wheezing/raspy but no difficulty breathing. And crop might of felt a little fuller but I don’t really know what I’m feeling. First time chick owner

At 7.5 weeks coccidiosis has to be considered. Treatment is very safe, and I would do that, it won't hurt anything, but not treating if that is it, could be fatal. Treatment is Corid (Pictures below) you can get at most feed stores and tractor supply stores, probably in the cattle or livestock section. You can use either the powder or the liquid, most prefer the liquid for convenience. Dose is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water, the medicated water needs to be the only water they have access to, make it fresh daily. Treat for 5-7 days. I would also give them an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, instructions for that are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Do not give vitamins during treatment, it can reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Common symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy/sleepiness, sitting fluffed up, going off food and water, runny or mucousy or bloody droppings. Some birds will show all the symptoms, some will only show some. I would start treatment as soon as possible, some strains can progress quickly.
2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

The noise sounds like stridor, a partial obstruction of the airway. That is often just a bit of feed or something that gets caught and will often resolve on it's own. If it persists then I would look in the mouth and throat for anything obvious. Sometimes a respiratory infection can cause swelling of the airway, and I've had birds that were overheated do it and it resolved when they cooled off.

At 7.5 weeks coccidiosis has to be considered. Treatment is very safe, and I would do that, it won't hurt anything, but not treating if that is it, could be fatal. Treatment is Corid (Pictures below) you can get at most feed stores and tractor supply stores, probably in the cattle or livestock section. You can use either the powder or the liquid, most prefer the liquid for convenience. Dose is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water, the medicated water needs to be the only water they have access to, make it fresh daily. Treat for 5-7 days. I would also give them an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, instructions for that are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Do not give vitamins during treatment, it can reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Common symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy/sleepiness, sitting fluffed up, going off food and water, runny or mucousy or bloody droppings. Some birds will show all the symptoms, some will only show some. I would start treatment as soon as possible, some strains can progress quickly.
View attachment 3144368
View attachment 3144369
They are all on medicated feed. Do you think that makes a difference? And the sitting fluffed up is something she does. But any idea on the eye? Or unrelated.

The noise sounds like stridor, a partial obstruction of the airway. That is often just a bit of feed or something that gets caught and will often resolve on it's own. If it persists then I would look in the mouth and throat for anything obvious. Sometimes a respiratory infection can cause swelling of the airway, and I've had birds that were overheated do it and it resolved when they cooled off.
Ok, I’ll give it today and see if it persists into tomorrow. Definitely not overheating, it’s pretty cool today.

Medicated feed contains a very small dose of amprolium (same medication in Corid). It can help prevent it, but sometimes it still happens. If it does you have to treat with the full strength medication.
I can't see any swelling around the eye, or the eye. I would wrap her in a towel, open the eye and take a look. Could be a pecking injury or debris in the eye. Flush it out well with sterile saline or eye wash (veterycin makes one) and you can use terramycin eye ointment (most tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin in the eye twice a day to prevent infection.

Medicated feed contains a very small dose of amprolium (same medication in Corid). It can help prevent it, but sometimes it still happens. If it does you have to treat with the full strength medication.
I can't see any swelling around the eye, or the eye. I would wrap her in a towel, open the eye and take a look. Could be a pecking injury or debris in the eye. Flush it out well with sterile saline or eye wash (veterycin makes one) and you can use terramycin eye ointment (most tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin in the eye twice a day to prevent infection.
Ok treatment wise is it possible to just treat that one and not all? We have been using this occasionally in their water as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom