Roo damaging his girls?

Little Meadow Big Sky

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 22, 2017
This is just my second year raising chickens, ergo, I'm making it up as I go along and really appreciate the advice I get here! This spring I intentionally ordered 2 roos from famously chill breeds, and kept the Jubilee Orpington fellow. He is super calm and crows only rarely. He is, as true to his breed, a huge beast and we've had a lot of fun joking about his size ("he's a bloody basketball with wings," etc).

He's nine months old now and mates on the reg. He has 17 hens to choose from, half from last year, and half from his May 2019 brood. The problem is that he seems to over-mate two or three of the pullets from his brood. These are small Easter Eggers who show the feather damage from this giant beast mounting them too often.

It leaves me questioning the wisdom of having a roo at all. If I keep him, could I sequester the poor dears he's over-breeding (without traumatizing them?). I do have a brooder area with an indoor and outdoor area adjacent to the main coop.

Stupid me. I didn't know roos stood on the girls and that his giant size (and overly selectiveness) could be an issue.

Thanks for any advice youse guys have to offer.

The problem is that he seems to over-mate two or three of the pullets from his brood. These are small Easter Eggers who show the feather damage from this giant beast mounting them too often.
Is he actually 'over-mating' them, meaning, have you seen it?
Or might they just have brittle/weak feathers that break easily when trod upon?

Back
Top Bottom