Morning update:
His condition didn't change a whole lot, but I have a feeling that he is becoming more alert. He was looking around and half sitting up when I walked into the coop. The vet gave be some Tetracycline powder to mix into a gallon of water, and I gave him a small bowl and he nearly drank the whole thing! I left him with some extra water, and some food (which he was eating a lot of).
I have never seen him eat and drink as much as he has now. Don't know if this is a good or bad thing, reeeeally hoping its a good thing.
However, given that the last bird we lost didn't even touch food and water, I'm inclined to be positive.

Morning update:
His condition didn't change a whole lot, but I have a feeling that he is becoming more alert. He was looking around and half sitting up when I walked into the coop. The vet gave be some Tetracycline powder to mix into a gallon of water, and I gave him a small bowl and he nearly drank the whole thing! I left him with some extra water, and some food (which he was eating a lot of).
I have never seen him eat and drink as much as he has now. Don't know if this is a good or bad thing, reeeeally hoping its a good thing.
However, given that the last bird we lost didn't even touch food and water, I'm inclined to be positive.
As long as his crop isn’t impacted, let him eat! Hope he continues to improve.

Update: We are about to be finished giving him antibiotics. He has good days and he has bad days. However, last night I think he might have fallen. He was up on a higher roost when we left him, and then he moved down to a lower platform after a few minutes. When I went to check on the birds last night he was all the way on the ground. Today he tumbled a few times as well, loosing his balance, dipping his head to far, things like that.
I'm curious if he might have a B1 deficiency? I haven't done a whole lot of research, but some of the mysterious symptoms line up. If so, what would be best to give him? I have heard about nutritional yeast, could I just give him some on the side with his food?

He died this morning. I wish I could have done something to stop this, but I had no idea what this was nor was I finding anything out. RIP Hershey, you did good.

He died this morning. I wish I could have done something to stop this, but I had no idea what this was nor was I finding anything out. RIP Hershey, you did good.
I am sorry you lost him.
You could send him in for a necropsy to find out what the cause was. This would be important given the history of your other two dying without diagnosis.
It might help with prevention for the rest of your flock,or at least give you some closure.

I am sorry you lost him.
You could send him in for a necropsy to find out what the cause was. This would be important given the history of your other two dying without diagnosis.
It might help with prevention for the rest of your flock, or at least give you some closure.
I don't know if I would be able to. Had the same issue with the last bird, and I don't think I could do another at home necropsy on this bird. With the last one, I think what he had was genetic, further hindered by a fatty liver (which we might have accidentally caused). If that is true, I wouldn't doubt that the feed issue was present in this bird, and could have caused lasting damage.
He had been falling during the night, and I think he had some existing brain damage from previous roo fights. If I had to guess, he was sick from a bad liver, and the brain damage got worse / caught up with him. No one else is showing symptoms, and he hadn't been himself for months now.
I know a necropsy would be best, I just don't know if I would be able to

Back
Top Bottom