ChikkiDoodleRoo

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2018
Edit to add: Removed my extra question because I already have an answer so this essay I wrote isn't even longer haha :lau.
****I added pictures of my gorgeous little one, scroll down the thread to see!! I suspect pullet, enjoy!!****
Hey my loves, I have another question for all you amazing people on here :). So I hatched a little rescue chick about 1 month and a half ago. The little one is growing into a gorgeous little cockrel/pullet (not sure on the sex just yet (although I suspect pullet) as it is a Silkie/Ester egger cross so no comb or waddle development at all (when they are this young silkies tend to take longer to develop comb or wattle) and can't rely on anything else either as Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex (as are the crosses many times) :barnie.

I have raised chickens in the past, but they have always been hens and we had ONE instance where there was a roo, but he had about 12 hens to himself haha so everything was fine and dandy (we just ate the eggs before they turned into anything so there was no issue with a bunch of babies everywhere).
This time however, it could go either way (although I am praying for a pullet haha :fl) so my question is, IF this little one is a roo, can I just make a separate little coop and run for him next to the hens (I only have 2 hens so I don't want to put him in with just 2)? I know people do this when they breed and things as they want control over who breeds with who, but is it ok in a pet situation? We do not eat our chickens or anything so the chickens we have are our pets and we keep them all. If I do make a separate run for him (IF its a him) can he see the hens or should I keep them from his line of sight? I have seen people do it both ways. I would like for him to see the hens if possible so he does not get lonely. If I keep them to where he can still see the girls, do you think he will still live a happy life? I know that for people who don't see them as pets they separate them and don't care, but I do want him to be happy :jumpy:).

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers :hugs

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you just keep him with the hens?

As for rehoming cockerels, it's going to depend on your location. Some people can sell their extra males, others can't even give them away. I've even known people who have paid someone to take them. If you absolutely can't let them go to be someone's dinner you could keep them in a bachelor pad. It's great that you are asking the question BEFORE hatching.

@Mylied Ok guys, here we go here is my gorgeous little silkie/easter egger mix rescue baby. I am pretty sure this is going to be a little pullet. At 6 weeks there is no comb development at all, like not even a teeny tiny bit. Isn't the color pattern just beautiful on this little one? Also, guys do you think this is a bantam chick? She is 6 weeks old and just looks so small compared to other chicks this age. Hope you enjoy the pics ;). Oh and look at that gorgeous barring on the neck!! She also has so many gorgeous speckles on her chest, just gorgeous.
0000000000000000000000000000000000000YAYLITTLEONE.jpg
00000000000000000000000000000000000sdojfihsiodfhisudfhisduhf.jpg
0000000000000000000000000000000000000sdkfhsldkfhksjdhf.jpg
0000Littleoneyep.jpg

Here's the only pics I have on my phone of some of them. That showgirl is a bit bigger now.
View attachment 1312938 View attachment 1312939 View attachment 1312940 View attachment 1312941

Edit to add: Hahahaha OMG!! Is that a tutu on your last girl? I can't!! Its so much cuteness that I just can't deal :jumpy........OMG @Mylied they are gorgeous!! I am so sorry I didn't see the post you made after my post, it was 2 days before my birthday and my grandmother went into the hospital that day so I never logged back on. I want to show you how big my girl has gotten (you were right btw, not only is she a pullet, she laid her first egg yesterday.....and its green!! So she is laying green eggs like her EE mommy did. I love silkie crosses so much, actually I just love silkies in general hahaha :love. Here are some pictures of my baby girl a few months after we talked. Look how much she changed from the pics on the first page, it's incredible!!
37004072_10102724872033392_4420699878020087808_n.jpg
37017699_10102724870406652_3580070968833343488_n.jpg
37035537_10102724871474512_5695934882916597760_o.jpg
37062850_10102724868001472_7627799357202366464_n.jpg

Attachments

• 36266357_10102724866938602_8521148019284901888_o.jpg
    36266357_10102724866938602_8521148019284901888_o.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 3
Wow, what a beauty!! Your babies look so happy and healthy too!!
Wow, what a beauty!! Your babies look so happy and healthy too!!

They really are. I will do my best to keep it that way too. He is a big boy. It works because they go high and he don't, not sure if it's a choice or not.

Here is a better picture of him. I really like him.the girls really like him too.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Why wouldn't you just keep him with the hens?

As for rehoming cockerels, it's going to depend on your location. Some people can sell their extra males, others can't even give them away. I've even known people who have paid someone to take them. If you absolutely can't let them go to be someone's dinner you could keep them in a bachelor pad. It's great that you are asking the question BEFORE hatching.

Thanks for responding love, I appreciate it :hugs. I can't put a roo with my hens because I only have 2 hens unfortunately and that would be overkill. You cannot put a roo in with 2 hens unless you either want VERY unhappy hens or eventually a dead one, either from stress from overmounting or worse. I also will not be getting more as I don't have the room for that kind of thing (the two eggs I would hatch would help, IF they were hens, but I have decided not to risk it because odds are I will end up with 1 or 2 more roos lol) . This chick was a rescue and I do suspect it is a pullet, but in the off chance that it is not, I just want to know the success of others separating the roo (I know people do it for breeding purposes, but I just mean in general).

Yep, I think you are right, it must depend on the area. Grrrrrr. Yep, I noticed that on some threads people say that tons of people wanted them just as lawn ornaments and they even were allowed to go check on them periodically (to make sure they weren't lying to get a free mean). Other threads I have seen say what you said above, that they can't even give the little guys away. I think you just convinced me not to hatch the extra 2 eggs, its just not worth it. Thank you again for responding, it is appreciated more than you know :).

People around me don't have roosters as pets, so I wouldn't be able to find a pet home. You can go with the don't ask policy and just believe they are living out their days on a farm full of hens.

I wouldn't keep any chicken alone for any long period of time, within sight or not of other chickens. Doesn't sound like a nice life.

OMMGGGGG @Mylied LOLLLLL for some reason the part I put in bold made me laugh more than it should have hahahaha :lau. No, I can't do that lol, I would know that he was dinner. To be fair he has been alone this whole time (he is only 1 month old and I am home right now all day) and he/she has done great!! As he/she was a rescue and the only chick hatched for that reason they had no buddies. To counteract that I put a zillion mirrors in his brooder (worked like a charm ;)) and he spends almost every waking moment with me (I say he just so I don't have to type he/she over and over haha). He also runs around with my two smaller dogs in the house. So you can see he is def a pet, I am wayyyyy too attached :rolleyes::hit.

Since he is a silkie mix, if he is a roo I wonder if getting another silkie roo and keeping them far away from the hens together would be good? Silkies are VERY docile roos and I have heard of people keeping bachelor roos together. That would solve the him being alone problem and such.

Thank you so much for the responses so far. So I think at least in regards to hatching the 2 eggs I have, I have decided against it. I can only maybe have 2 more hens and I don't want to risk potentially bringing 1 or 2 more roos into this world who had no reason to be born just to be given away to be eaten when I really need hens. I think I will just wait and pick out 2 chicks from a breeder I really like (probably go with a sexlink breed just to avoid any potential for error so Im not in the same boat).

As far as my little rescue guy or girl, I still would love more suggestions from anyone who finds this thread :). I love reading everyones different opinions as everyone raises differently which is awesome.

My showgirls and silkies get along with anyone, so it's worth a shot keeping two roos together. You got a pic of your chick?

Sure do lovely :). I will post them here when I get home a little later. I'll tag you when I post them :). She is gorgeous!! Really unusual markings too. I love the mutts because they make some of the prettiest little chickens haha.

Back
Top Bottom