1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roos with bare spots

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozark hen, May 22, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have two cochin roos who have bare spots on their necks with patches of red (like blood to the surface) scrape marks. I also have one younger very aggressive roo..aggressive to the flock...could it be that they are fighting? I see them chasing each other a lot more like the cochins chasing the young red rooster. What should I put on their necks?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure could be. How old are they and do they have any girls? Young roosters can be nasty when they're working out the pecking order. [​IMG]

Unless it's actually bloody or infected I wouldn't put anything on it. If it is, any sort of antiseptic would work. I prefer a 1% gentle iodine solution mixed with water to make a tea colored solution and dab it on.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thanks Ella, I caught one last night and had my dh hold him while I looked at the neck. It isn't blood I was seeing but just a red neck with feathers pulled out. Whew, I was afraid something was amuck amongst my flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by